The Pars v Montrose

Superally

It seems like an absolute age since we last played at EEP so this Saturday the faithful can walk down Halbeath Road to see the Pars face Stewart Petrie’s Montrose. As we should remember Montrose is the only team to inflict a defeat on the Pars, so there is good reason to consider this fixture with a degree of trepidation. The Gable Endies sit 6th in the league and only 2 points off a coveted play off place so there is plenty incentive  for them to seek a result  this weekend. They have only scored one more goal than the Pars but defensively have conceded 30 goals - however that is still the 3rd best defence in the league. Recent form over the past 6 matches highlights one win, three draws and two defeats. Their last outing against Kelty Hearts was a 3-3 draw. Although our last meeting was a 2-0 defeat at Links Park our first meeting was a 1-0 home win with Todorov scoring from an assist from McDonald. The Pars still maintain a 5pt lead at the top of the table but there does appear to be a slight slump of form with defeats in both cup competitions and a failure in our last game to convert chances leading to a draw against Clyde. This will be a tough combative encounter against a robust team who are quite prepared take a card and seek to add to their 9 clean sheets this season. The outcome will depend on if the Pars have the gyle to overcome a stuffy Montrose team who are prepared to defend heavily. 1-0 Pars win for me. COYP

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, rosythpar said:

A few changes to the starting 11 could be needed,Chalmers and Mehmet could be dropped? 

Can’t see it,  there’s about 3 possible changes the manager can make week to week and neither are for chalmers or Mehmet.

I don’t really know why Mehmet has been given a bit of stick recently, a few slack passes fine but he’s still part of a defense that rarely concedes and that’s far more on what I’d judge a keeper on.  There was quite a few at Clyde that were going off their heads about some decent passages of play in our own third that he was part of.   People who haven’t followed the tactics for at least 20 years who think ‘get it forward’ is the only way to do things. 

On chalmers, i think he’s gone off the boil slightly in the past month or so, he has generally been one of our best players until then and as long as his form doesn’t completely collapse he’ll get the opportunity to play himself back into form. Besides we nearly always start with 3 CM and we have 3 fit senior ones at the club, it’s a bit of a no brainer.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Can’t see it,  there’s about 3 possible changes the manager can make week to week and neither are for chalmers or Mehmet.

I don’t really know why Mehmet has been given a bit of stick recently, a few slack passes fine but he’s still part of a defense that rarely concedes and that’s far more on what I’d judge a keeper on.  There was quite a few at Clyde that were going off their heads about some decent passages of play in our own third that he was part of.   People who haven’t followed the tactics for at least 20 years who think ‘get it forward’ is the only way to do things. 

On chalmers, i think he’s gone off the boil slightly in the past month or so, he has generally been one of our best players until then and as long as his form doesn’t completely collapse he’ll get the opportunity to play himself back into form. Besides we nearly always start with 3 CM and we have 3 fit senior ones at the club, it’s a bit of a no brainer.

Mehmet decision making past few games been terrible, 2 at firhill and one on Saturday when he watched a cross go right by him. There’s no doubt he’s improved this season but some games he’s had nothing to do

1 minute ago, kelty_par said:

Mehmet decision making past few games been terrible, 2 at firhill and one on Saturday when he watched a cross go right by him. There’s no doubt he’s improved this season but some games he’s had nothing to do

Presumably the one on Saturday is the one Benedictus ended up clearing?  I was 30 yards away and heard him shout, he was quite right to leave it after benidictus who was 2 yards away didn’t get out the road.

Just now, parsforlife said:

Presumably the one on Saturday is the one Benedictus ended up clearing?  I was 30 yards away and heard him shout, he was quite right to leave it after benidictus who was 2 yards away didn’t get out the road.

No the one when it went right along and both of them left it 

Back on topic. This will be just as tough a game as last week's and the last time Montrose were at EEP. I don't see us winning by more than a single goal as they are unlikely to make life easy for us and fully expect them to keep it tight and look to Nick one on the counter or a set piece.

1-0 Pars... 🤞

Defensively we are still tight conceding only 3 goals over the past 6 fixtures (QoS, Kelty & Clyde) and with clean sheets against Peterhead x 2 & Edinburgh, but managing to score 11 goals over the same period. We are still comfortably the best team defensively but Falkirk 17, Airdrie 16 and Edinburgh 13 have scored more.