Airdrie v The Pars

Superally

The Pars are in catch up mode this weekend with and the scheduling has given us a interesting double header of games against Airdrie. What has made is even more intriguing is that our closest title rivals and 5pts behind Falkirk have a similar double header against Alloa and they play tonight (Tues). Saturday’s game is a carry over fixture and completes the second tranche of games in which the Pars did exceptionally well, however this game is more likely to be based on current form. Airdrie sit 3rd in the table 10pts behind the Pars and will be eager to narrow the gap, over 23 games they have proven to be the leagues second highest scorers with 44 goals but they have conceded 31. Current form over the past 6 games places them slightly below the Pars with 4 wins a draw and a defeat. Their last outing was a 1-0 win over a stuffy Clyde. It may seem like an absolute age ago but the last meeting between the sides in August ended up as a 1-1 draw with Airdrie equalising after a Fordyce OG. Once again all fixtures in this league are never easy and I guess it will be no different on Saturday . Airdrie impressed last time with an open and expansive game and have kept the same philosophy. The Pars defensive qualities have been top class this season Its just up to the strikers to make the difference and take advantage of the spaces Airdrie have left. I predict a nervy 2-1 Pars win for me. COYP

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Superally said:

The Pars are in catch up mode this weekend with and the scheduling has given us an interesting double header of games against Airdrie. What has made is even more intriguing is that our closest title rivals and 5pts behind Falkirk have a similar double header against Alloa and they play tonight (Tues). Saturday’s game is a carry over fixture and completes the second tranche of games in which the Pars did exceptionally well, however this game is more likely to be based on current form. Airdrie sit 3rd in the table 10pts behind the Pars and will be eager to narrow the gap, over 23 games they have proven to be the leagues second highest scorers with 44 goals but they have conceded 31. Current form over the past 6 games places them slightly below the Pars with 4 wins a draw and a defeat. Their last outing was a 1-0 win over a stuffy Clyde. It may seem like an absolute age ago but the last meeting between the sides in August ended up as a 1-1 draw with Airdrie equalising after a Fordyce OG. Once again all fixtures in this league are never easy and I guess it will be no different on Saturday . Airdrie impressed last time with an open and expansive game and have kept the same philosophy. The Pars defensive qualities have been top class this season Its just up to the strikers to make the difference and take advantage of the spaces Airdrie have left. I predict a nervy 2-1 Pars win for me. COYP

Good preview that Ally.  

Airdrie are a good side, if we come out these two games with maximum points then that’s a real statement of intent in our title hunt.

• Upvote 2

If we win on Saturday its in our hands regardless of the two games against Falkirk.

Alloa should have been miles ahead tonight, thankfully they pulled an equaliser in the dying seconds. 

A win and a couple of goals would be nice, bit more more breathing space if all goes well. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Superally said:

Very late goal by Falkirk and Alloa pen in the 5th min of additional time FT: 1-1

We have an slight advantage, but only if we take all 3pts on Sat - no pressure! COYP

Be good to get back to 7 points ahead. They got the tricky Darvel game coming up, so we need to do the business come Saturday. 

Edited by scottyboy
That late equaliser will have deflated them. I can imagine the fans trudging back along the road.

57 minutes ago, scottyboy said:

I always find Airdrie are the party poopers. Always difficult, even when they had some poor squads more recently. Suppose you have to look on the bright side. No Sandison, Kenny Black, Gus Caesar, Andy (penalty Airdrie) Smith and the scab. 

I can still name an Airdrie starting 11 from the mid 90’s, including those you say, along with honourable mentions for the likes of Allan Lawrence, Steve Cooper, Tommy McIntyre and Paul Harvey.   Some great battles between us over those years.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Superally said:

Very late goal by Falkirk and Alloa pen in the 5th min of additional time FT: 1-1

We have an slight advantage, but only if we take all 3pts on Sat - no pressure! COYP

I'm not at all surprised that Alloa took something from the game and I'm not being wise after the event. I had a bit of "inside knowledge."

A good mate of mine was at the Kelty game on Saturday and I was speaking to him on Sunday. He said he doesn't know how Falkirk are second in the league because they were absolute (something that rhymes with) white. 😃 He added that Kelty were all over them and lost to a poxy last minute deflection, describing the result as an absolute travesty.

Now admittedly, that was just one fan's view of one game, but he is an ex pro and I`d like to think he has an opinion worth considering. For this reason, I don`t think we should be looking over our shoulder, fearing the worst every time Falkirk win a game and we don't. In any race, the front runner just concentrates on his own performance, stays on his feet and runs at a pace he's reasonably comfortable with.

I can guarantee it's a lot harder for the chasing pack. 🙂

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rossmcno1 said:

I can still name an Airdrie starting 11 from the mid 90’s, including those you say, along with honourable mentions for the likes of Allan Lawrence, Steve Cooper, Tommy McIntyre and Paul Harvey.   Some great battles between us over those years.  

Hetherington, Kenny Black, someone by the name of Smith...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

I'm not at all surprised that Alloa took something from the game and I'm not being wise after the event. I had a bit of "inside knowledge."

A good mate of mine was at the Kelty game on Saturday and I was speaking to him on Sunday. He said he doesn't know how Falkirk are second in the league because they were absolute (something that rhymes with) white. 😃 He added that Kelty were all over them and lost to a poxy last minute deflection, describing the result as an absolute travesty.

Now admittedly, that was just one fan's view of one game, but he is an ex pro and I`d like to think he has an opinion worth considering. For this reason, I don`t think we should be looking over our shoulder, fearing the worst every time Falkirk win a game and we don't. In any race, the front runner just concentrates on his own performance, stays on his feet and runs at a pace he's reasonably comfortable with.

I can guarantee it's a lot harder for the chasing pack. 🙂

They were lucky not to be a goal down against Edinburgh too the week before. Told Edinburgh missed a sitter just before H/T. Playing single fish or not they are still on a cracking run and have numbers to cope with a few extra games. Secretly hoping i have something to celebrate when im up for our game against Alloa at EEP.

Ugh.............Peter Hetherston - who completed the un-holy trinity of playing for Raith, Falkirk & Airdrie.

"Silky" had a face only a mother could love. The image of him equalising in the 95-96 decider still gives me the fear.

Really hated him as a player.

Edited by da_no_1
  • Upvote 3