Airdrie v The Pars

Superally

For the first time in years I've just watched those highlights from that game in 96 with a lump in my throat & a wee tear in my eye. It reminded me of why I love my club, no matter which ****ey league we happen to be in just now. It really was a special day.

Also worth noting that although they were absolute scumbags on the pitch, guys like Kenny Black etc were the first to offer congratulations to Bert & Dick - true sportsmen.

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

For the first time in years I've just watched those highlights from that game in 96 with a lump in my throat & a wee tear in my eye. It reminded me of why I love my club, no matter which ****ey league we happen to be in just now. It really was a special day.

Also worth noting that although they were absolute scumbags on the pitch, guys like Kenny Black etc were the first to offer congratulations to Bert & Dick - true sportsmen.

Your last paragraph hits home.  

Some utter cretins on the park for Airdrie back then, but I’ve read before that there was some real shared respect between the sides despite all that.  I’ve certainly played football with the most placid respectful guys you ever know, until they get onto the football field 😂.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

I remember Kenny Black shaking a Pars player hand with 10 minutes to go, as the other result came through. They were a hard and dirty team. Andy Smith was a handfull, giving 100%, but the only one who was a cheat. Remember Norrie giving him a mouthfull for simulation, which led to penalty Airdrie. Fantastic player for us. When he signed, i thought braw, we will get an extra 6 penalties a season. He then stopped doing it for us lol.

42 minutes ago, scottyboy said:

I remember Kenny Black shaking a Pars player hand with 10 minutes to go, as the other result came through. They were a hard and dirty team. Andy Smith was a handfull, giving 100%, but the only one who was a cheat. Remember Norrie giving him a mouthfull for simulation, which led to penalty Airdrie. Fantastic player for us. When he signed, i thought braw, we will get an extra 6 penalties a season. He then stopped doing it for us lol.

Allan Lawrence was fond of dropping to the floor without contact too….! 😂

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

Ugh.............Peter Hetherston - who completed the un-holy trinity of playing for Raith, Falkirk & Airdrie.

"Silky" had a face only a mother could love. The image of him equalising in the 95-96 decider still gives me the fear.

Really hated him as a player.

I couldn't stand him, gave him pelter's that game. As soon as we all started cheering after United's game finished, he was the first shaking hands with the players around him. 

• Upvote 1

A win would be an excellent result and is certainly not beyond us, as Airdrie are unlikely to sit in, so that will give us opportunities to get forward and create chances. Our away record suggests we will take something from the game.

A draw would be a decent result in what is likely to be a tricky game. Get that first goal Pars.

1996: Dunfermline 2 Airdrie 1 | Dunfermline Athletic Football Club (dafc.co.uk)

I recall that game well. I didn't get to many games in the 80s and 90s, as I was playing myself. I was in the Cowden end, behind the goals, as the place was rammed

I had a great view of Andy Smith's diving header in the first half and it seemed I was the first one to shout "it's in" when Marc Millar took his kick, as John Martin dived early and the wrong way.

Marc Millar was an excellent footballer, but I believe enjoyed himself a little too much off the park, and his full potential was never realised? He played his best football at EEP

Great memories.

Edited by Raymie