The Pars v Airdrie (Part 2)

Superally

I don’t think our tactics have been any secret, indeed I’ve been slightly surprised about how often we’ve been able to repeat some patterns of play without it being picked up on.  

Teams may want to counter-act that, but as long as we respond appropriately then it’s no harm done.   Indeed I think we did,   Todd(and chalmers to an extent) often drifts wide to offer a crossing option,  but on Saturday even 11 v 11 he made a point about placing himself in the D for the ball to come back inside and let him get shots away, the result? 2 goals.   There’s always a bit of cat and mouse about tactics.   You’re only ‘found out’ if you only have one way of playing and can’t react if that’s targeted. 

• Upvote 1

On 13/02/2023 at 21:33, parsforlife said:

Todd(and chalmers to an extent) often drifts wide to offer a crossing option,  but on Saturday even 11 v 11 he made a point about placing himself in the D for the ball to come back inside and let him get shots away, the result? 2 goals.  

Interesting you've noticed that, as it's not by accident.

The last fan group meeting I went to represent the EEB, McPake spoke specifically about this. He asks Matty to get into that hole, for the reasons above and so he can drop back in to defend if it gets turned over. His engine is fantastic and will run all day and he sees that hole as the space to exploit so someone who can regularly get in it is going to cause damage. It's difficult to pick up but it's also an area that the opposition midfield will try and find space too.

I think the psychology of this game is fascinating. Will Airdrie focus on their dominance with 11 men or will the Pars have the upper hand due to the incredible comeback?

This is a different game but there’s bound to be some sort of impact from playing 2 games in a week against the same opponent. One thing that’s been clear this season is that James McPake is prepared to make changes when things aren’t working out.