McPake

Keyser Soze

Not surprised he is starting to feature in shortlists for clubs needing a new manager.  He had a decent enough record at Dundee on its own merits, but his work here adds more strength to his numbers.  Everyone has seen the turnaround at this club and results like Saturday do make more people take a closer look.

Personally I think it would be a bad move to go to motherwell, I think they are doomed.  It’s a club that is in turmoil behind the scenes with the loss of their CEO, and on the pitch I think that squad don’t have the quality nor the mentality to survive a relegation battle, regardless of who’s in charge.  He would end up being in same league as us, with a risk that any sort of dodgy start to the subsequent season would see him being bulleted.  Here he has a better amount of job security, and suspect more control over wider project pieces.

• Upvote 1

I've said elsewhere, it's wish-lists and paper chat. This sort of stuff gets put out through conversations in the hope to gauge what the feeling might be to such an approach. It could also be that a journo has made up a list of likely candidates from who could be seen to be doing well, and whom might fit the bill. 

Either way, he has made no secret of the fact that he felt he didn't get to finish what he started at Dundee, (was he not sacked after winning 6 on the bounce or 6 undefeated, something like that?) and I see no reason why he'd walk away from a situation where he is on course to win a title, to go a struggling team that he can't make changes to, except through the loan market, to try and keep them up, potentially ending up in the same league as us anyway. 

Yes, they would have a parachute payment if that were the case, and having been in the premiership will likely have a bigger budget but to pick up on the Ronaldo analogy, they are not financed by an oil rich country, ie we're not vastly different propositions all things considered. They are of similar size and support to us, and would likely pay more, but not a kings ransom amount more. 

In the couple of times I've seen the whites of his eyes, and listened to him talk, I'm not convinced he'd abandon what he's trying to achieve here, for another doomed rescue mission like he had with Dundee. He had his fingers burnt there and he was clearly not happy about it, and it's obvious it still annoys him. Why would he sign up for that again?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Digs said:

finish what he started at Dundee, (was he not sacked after winning 6 on the bounce or 6 undefeated, something like that?)

Not quite that good - they'd just beaten Peterhead in the cup, and won at Tynecastle in the league one game earlier. Before that though they hadn't won in 9 (7 defeats 2 draws). However the 2 draws were recent so they'd gone DDLWW when they punted him. They then didn't win again until 13 matches later.

I am confident he will turn down Motherwell if they make an approach for him. McPake is on track to get us promoted to the championship and when he does our owners should be backing him in the transfer window. He will have a bit of a rebuilding job next season and they need to let him build his own squad and not bring in so many loan players. It will be easier to attract players if we are in the championship. 

I don’t know if there is anything in this but it would be a terrible setback for the club as the entire first team coaching staff have been appointed by James McPake. After the previous season we desperately need some stability and continuity.

This season has gone as well as I could reasonably have hoped, given last season and the change in manager is clearly the most significant factor in that.