Falkirk away 8th April

kelty_par

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Seing them stay in league one, go through a long and protracted administration followed by a liquidation, Falkirk to re start in the East of Scotland league playing in a public park. 

I'd enjoy that. 

That made me laugh.

Will this public park have 4 sides with barriers for their crowd or just the 3? 😉

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Seing them stay in league one, go through a long and protracted administration followed by a liquidation, Falkirk to re start in the East of Scotland league playing in a public park. 

I'd enjoy that. 

Ok, put it this way. You get your way with Falkirk, then Airdrie, then the Rovers, it’s pretty much happened with Cowden. Who are our rivals or grudge matches against then?

Football is built on rivalry. Without it, it’s just something to do on a Saturday. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t let it ruin my weekend or anything but even in the lower leagues I watch, I’ve still got teams that I can’t stand. It’s a waste of time otherwise surely?

27 minutes ago, Digs said:

Ok, put it this way. You get your way with Falkirk, then Airdrie, then the Rovers, it’s pretty much happened with Cowden. Who are our rivals or grudge matches against then?

Football is built on rivalry. Without it, it’s just something to do on a Saturday. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t let it ruin my weekend or anything but even in the lower leagues I watch, I’ve still got teams that I can’t stand. It’s a waste of time otherwise surely?

To be fair, if it was the case that we were to grow and get to the Premier League, we’d get rivalries with the two Edinburgh clubs and St Johnstone I’d expect.  Happened last time we played at that level, and of course the Livingston thing too.  

37 minutes ago, Digs said:

I agree that rivals are great, but they do change and develop over time.   You take Cowdenbeath, there was a point in time they were the rivalry, the big one,  but over time we generally established a higher level of performance and rovers/Falkirk came in,  you mention airdrie but IMO that only applies to a certain generation of fans, i don’t think our crowds are much bigger vs them compared to any other club their size.  For someone of my age getting one over St Mirren always felt enjoyable after late 90s and mid day 2000 battles.   We even had a mini battle vs hearts in early 2000s. 

If rovers and Falkirk stopped being competitive vs us(or heaven forbid we stopped being able to keep up with them) then we’d find someone else.  Local(ish) clubs help but any team you go toe to toe with for a few years can generate that heat.   

Edited by parsforlife
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Digs said:

Raith are fine, good fanbase, Fifers, they can stay. 

But aye Falkirk can do one, not fussed in the slightest by Airdrie. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Aye OK then.

I'd love to be as fluffy & nice as you mate 😀

Nothing to do with being fluffy and nice, and I'm genuinely laughing at that as I think that might be a first for me 😂 It's the exact opposite in fact. I'm talking about the things that make football great, not only winning stuff, but getting it right up your rivals, bragging rights, the basic tribalism of supporting your team. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I agree that rivals are great, but they do change and develop over time.   You take Cowdenbeath, there was a point in time they were the rivalry, the big one,  but over time we generally established a higher level of performance and rovers/Falkirk came in,  you mention airdrie but IMO that only applies to a certain generation of fans, i don’t think our crowds are much bigger vs them compared to any other club their size.  For someone of my age getting one over St Mirren always felt enjoyable after late 90s and mid day 2000 battles.   We even had a mini battle vs hearts in early 2000s. 

If rovers and Falkirk stopped being competitive vs us(or heaven forbid we stopped being able to keep up with them) then we’d find someone else.  Local(ish) clubs help but any team you go toe to toe with for a few years can generate that heat.   

I hear what you're saying, but it's not the same thing. I did think about St Mirren actually, but it was only for a season or so and even then it was only because Tom Hendrie was an absolute weapon. I don't particularly remember anything going with Hearts to be honest.

The Airdrie thing ran for a good ten years, at least, and is still going but maybe you're right only with some of a certain vintage but anyone who treats Norrie like they do deserve every single bit of GIRUY going. To be fair actually, they're not even Airdrie, they're Clydebank, so maybe this one is best ignored. 

10 hours ago, Rossmcno1 said:

To be fair, if it was the case that we were to grow and get to the Premier League, we’d get rivalries with the two Edinburgh clubs and St Johnstone I’d expect.  Happened last time we played at that level, and of course the Livingston thing too.  

I genuinely don't remember it being anything close to how it is with Falkirk or the Rovers. 

19 minutes ago, Digs said:

Nothing to do with being fluffy and nice, and I'm genuinely laughing at that as I think that might be a first for me 😂 It's the exact opposite in fact. I'm talking about the things that make football great, not only winning stuff, but getting it right up your rivals, bragging rights, the basic tribalism of supporting your team. 

I fear you're wasting your time, Digs. It doesn't matter how articulate you are and how reasonably you explain it, many posters cannot/will not come round to your point of view. 

The fiercest example of rivalry I can point to is Celtic and Rangers. I don't think any other fan groups hate one another quite so deeply as their fans do. When Rangers went into liquidation, Celtic fans were joyous beyond belief and outraged that the phoenix club was allowed to start up in League 2. There then followed several seasons of laughter as Sevco suffered a number of embarrassing gubbings from diddy teams as they gradually made their way up to the top flight.....

Here's the rub. I worked beside a good number of Celtic fans (and a few Rangers/Sevco fans.) They were openly pleased to see the new club in the top flight. Winning 9 in a row without breaking sweat most years had become a hollow achievement.

Why would anyone believe rivalry in football doesn't matter? Last time we won League 1 it was a bit of a procession. It would have been the same this season if Falkirk weren't in it. 

St Johnstone and Livi never have and never will touch the levels of Falkirk for rivalry.

The livi thing was a chairman spat was it not? Yorkston would have burst Keane given the chance. 

St J...are just another club not far from us and I've never heard nor seen any sign of a rivalry in my 36 years. They're definitely a club we need to take a good look at and see what they do to continuously out perform us. 

1 hour ago, Digs said:

I kinda get what you mean and last Tuesday was fantastic, but I absolutely hated the build up (always do) and the only reason it was so good and we're all still on such a high is because we won.

If we want to prosper & challenge in the Championship if/when we go up, another similar sized club alongside us maybe isn't the best of things for at least our first season back up?

And I can't think of a better way to get it right up them is to point & laugh as they flounder in League 1 for a 5th season......😀  

Edited by da_no_1

40 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

If we want to prosper & challenge in the Championship if/when we go up, another similar sized club alongside us maybe isn't the best of things for at least our first season back up?

I get what you're saying but if I'm thinking rationally, going straight up again would not be great for us IMO. The gap between the Championship and the Prem is huge now and as well as QP have done, if they go up they are in for a rude awakening. 

I think you need to build a squad capable of doing something and a squad suitable for the Championship is rarely going to be good enough to compete at Prem level, you need a bit of investment and with the losses we've had, I just think we could do with a year bringing in some money to start building a squad capable of competing.

I think we have decent players who have the potential to play there but the squad would need to look quite different before it would be ready, and the likelihood of us having a Prem ready squad next season is pretty slim.