Peterhead v The Pars

Superally

3 minutes ago, Digs said:

Just makes him sound like the petty dour faced little ***** that he is I thought 🤷‍♂️

He's not actually too bad, the game does get to him tho had few meltdowns in interviews and didn't come across too well our final two seasons in league one last time round . Met him a few times and hes been a decent enough guy. He came to Oriel training college for a talk in the summer of 96 (Was meant to be Ally McCoist but he'd been done for drink driving a couple of days before), he'd just became Rovers caretaker manager after Jimmy Nic and Airdrie? had pumped them out the league cup. we set all the papers up on the table with everyone on the match report.  He just started laughing and said we had some balls for 17 year olds. 

Saw him at a few other events for college kids and what was Skillseekers apprenticeship things. He always had time to talk to folk. Most other just turned up mumbled and then vanished as soon as they could to the bookies or golf course. 

14 minutes ago, Number Eleven said:

We are almost certain to win the league now but I’d like us to do it the right way by winning on Saturday.

Agreed. Apparently Montrose missed a last minute sitter tonight, which would have been hilarious - but doing it on Saturday will do just fine :-)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Al k said:

Wighton is a must for me in the starting 11 and next season. So much better with him on the field. I can understand Todorov and McCann today but it just didn't work again. 

Would have been harsh to drop McCann 2 assists and two goals last few starts and Todorov deserved a chance. 

All 3 of them should not be anywhere in our team in the Championship next season. 
It’s a massive step up and we need to be looking at top league reserve players 

1 hour ago, Secure Par said:

All 3 of them should not be anywhere in our team in the Championship next season. 
It’s a massive step up and we need to be looking at top league reserve players 

Wighton nowhere near? That’s a wild take. He’s by far and away the best footballer in our team by quite some distance. (Notice I said footballer and not player) 

He’s a proven goalscorer in the Championship and is easily good enough for that level, especially if he can get a good preseason under his belt and hit the ground running. He’s played most of this season unfit to do a shift for the team when asked and has still managed 15 goals in all competitions. 

If you genuinely think he’s not good enough I’d start preparing for some disappointment when you see the squad photo in preseason. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

I struggle to understand why people are calling for widespread changes to our team for next season.  I think a big part of the problem last season was that there were too many changes which led to the awful results and performances.

Taking the strikers for example -  Todorov, Wighton and O’Hara all have decent championship scoring records, arguably McCanns stats don’t stand too well, but he is young and we have him for minimum one more year.  I think it would be pretty silly to move on all 4.  If any was to move on I’d expect O’Hara.  I’d keep the other 3 but look to add in a 4th striker to freshen and challenge. 

We do have to strengthen across the squad of course, but I would expect a few additions more than departures considering how light the playing staff is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Digs said:

Wighton nowhere near? That’s a wild take. He’s by far and away the best footballer in our team by quite some distance. (Notice I said footballer and not player) 

He’s a proven goalscorer in the Championship and is easily good enough for that level, especially if he can get a good preseason under his belt and hit the ground running. He’s played most of this season unfit to do a shift for the team when asked and has still managed 15 goals in all competitions. 

If you genuinely think he’s not good enough I’d start preparing for some disappointment when you see the squad photo in preseason. 

While I consider Craig Wighton is a talented player and hope to see him stay I disagree that he’s a proven goal scorer in the Championship. He’s only scored 15 goals at that level. 
Hopefully this season’s tally will become the norm going forward.

2 hours ago, Number Eleven said:

While I consider Craig Wighton is a talented player and hope to see him stay I disagree that he’s a proven goal scorer in the Championship. He’s only scored 15 goals at that level. 
Hopefully this season’s tally will become the norm going forward.

He's scored goals for 5 different teams at Championship level, and has actually scored over 40 goals at that level since making his debut for Dundee.

He's never going to be prolific, that's not his game as he's not a box striker. He keeps the ball well, links up the midfield and wide players well and gets us up the pitch by making it stick. Doing that means you are never going to be a penalty box striker. The trick with him is finding the right player to play off him. At the moment, that seems to be the bit we're not quite sure of. 

I just think he's the type pf player that needs to be reminded of how good he is, have confidence shown in him, and he will be happy. When he is happy and fit, he has delivered. The difference in him from the start of the season to now, and from last season shows that I think.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Digs said:

He's scored goals for 5 different teams at Championship level, and has actually scored over 40 goals at that level since making his debut for Dundee.

He's never going to be prolific, that's not his game as he's not a box striker. He keeps the ball well, links up the midfield and wide players well and gets us up the pitch by making it stick. Doing that means you are never going to be a penalty box striker. The trick with him is finding the right player to play off him. At the moment, that seems to be the bit we're not quite sure of. 

I just think he's the type pf player that needs to be reminded of how good he is, have confidence shown in him, and he will be happy. When he is happy and fit, he has delivered. The difference in him from the start of the season to now, and from last season shows that I think.

Your right, I don't think Grant or Hughes were good managers for a player like him. 

Well they weren't good Managers for any of our players but Wighton needs finer man management and played in his correct position.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Digs said:

We need to find a "Crawford" to his "Brewster"...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1