Supporters Meeting

This event is now fully subscribed. If you'd like to be added to a waiting list should some people drop out, email andrew@dafc.co.uk.

If you have a ticket but find later that you can no longer attend, please delete your booking online or let me know using the above email address.

20 hours ago, Al k said:

Suspect there will be, but an update on the training facilities. 

Aye, and if there's no update like last time can a question be asked as to what is holding everything up? Is it planning/funding etc. 

Gutted I missed the ticket sale, hope its a good night 👍 

I’d be interested to know how the response was to the call for volunteers a couple of months earlier.   Did the response meet expectations, what kinds of roles were fulfilled and where is the club still looking for assistance?

Edited by Rossmcno1

Gentle reminder to anyone who has reserved a space(s) for this but now find they can no longer attend. Please cancel your booking via Eventbrite or contact me directly as there are a number of people on the waiting list who can take your place. Thanks.

Email andrew@dafc.co.uk.

Edited by Kaiser Chief

I went. I thought both McPake and Mackay came across very well. They obviously get on really well and have established a good rapport with the squad. They're both tactically astute and good man managers. They also repeatedly said that they're still learning the game and showed great humility. Last, but not least, both have a keen sense of humour. I left in good spirits 're next season.

• Upvote 2

Here's a mind dump from the meeting (I never took notes). Also, in no specific order. 

McPake is confident both Comrie and Memhet will sign for next season.

McPake ribbed McKay a fair bit about his poor disciplinary record.

McPake made )reference to Falkirks corner record and reitrrated that Airdrie are a good team.

McPake and McKay spoke about specific tactics in reference to our 1-0 win over Falkirk at their place.

McPake also said our 2-0 win at home against Falkirk had him admitting to himself that was when we were likely to win the league.

He made the point of how we kept quiet and low key on the lead up to the game, while Falkirk were making fair bit of noise about it. This appears to be their strategy, do our talking on the pitch.

Thanked the supporters for their efforts both home and away, the term 'magnificent' was used I think.

Both spoke about a fair bit about their time at Dundee and how that experience has influenced their managerial ethos and decision making at East End.

Made reference to the importance of our youth set up after being asked about it. How it was important to be patient in nurturing young players in their continual development. 

We got a detailed update from GG Riva about the good work in the community being carried out by volunteers through the Pars Foundation. He mentioned how well it's supported by the current set of  players.

Cook said the usual stuff about the development of the academy being  held up by planning related difficulties. Interestingly, he also said its progress was also influenced by available finance (in reference to choices being made after being relegated).

Quick discussion on volunteers and on the potential for expanding on the current 2 days (Tuesdays and Thursdays) for carrying out work at the stadium. Maybe using weekends during the close season for example, to allow those working during the week a chance to help out if they're intetested in doing so.

Cook responded to a question about the potential upgrading of the social spaces and bars within the main stand. Basically, yeah it was an aspiration, however not a main priority. McPake reckons facilities at East End are already '5 star' compared to a lot of Scottish clubs.

McPake told a funny story about how Rhys Breen loves interacting with those punching machines you see in pubs and amusement arcades etc. Has broke his hand twice using them 😳, however, just to reiterate it was an amusing story.

Cook mentioned a new kit supplier are on the books, all will be revealed very soon. Allied to this, there will be some event (open day) planned for the close season of which the new kit will be part of.

Looking forward to the St Pauli game and how it's a bit of a coup being the first UK club to play them on home soil. Might be a social event happening in relation to the game. I personally suspect it's a gig of some sort (maybe Skids or Dropkick Murphys is my bet).

From myself: I really believe we're in a good place with McPake & McKay imo. Their rapport with each other is obvious, their humility, transparency and passion are also obvious. No blustering bullsh*t or clichéd nonsense that we had from the 2 previous chaps.

David Cook is a good orator and obviously an astute guy. He appears to have a good relationship with McPake & McKay.

Personally for next season, I'd like to see Ross McArthur back at Pars games. 

• Upvote 4

Excellent summary, Piracy. Here's some detail 're what I said at the end:-

• Great season on and off the pitch.
• Schools Engagement programme started in 2014. Stopped in March 2020 because of Covid.
• David Cook keen to re-start it. James McPake bought into it.
• Dave Dawson organises 2 initiatives. Business Management presentation for High School pupils. Stadium tours for primary kids. Problems for schools out with walking distance from EEP, as private transport costs are extortionate. 
• Wullie Oliphant delivers Pars Stars, an all day literacy initiative, in local primary schools. The afternoon features a coaching session from the Pars Foundation given by Iain Philp, Ryan Graham and Stevie Tucker. 733 pupils had benefited from this up to the end of March. Wullie is on course to hit 1000 by the end of June.
• Pars Tackle Health is run jointly by Sandy Wyse and I. The initiative relies on Pars players visiting local primary schools to talk to pupils about making good lifestyle choices which will hopefully enable them to live a long, happy and healthy life. Dave Mackay organises the player rota. Every player has been in at least 2 schools - some in 3. Everyone has totally bought in to the aims of the initiative. The 3 Pars Foundation coaches also attend these visits and provide a games session for participating pupils. Stats for this season;

18 schools visited.
22 players involved
41 classes participated
1064 children engaged and countless autographs signed. 🙂

A large proportion of these kids who are interested in football list Rangers or Celtic as their favourite team. Hopefully, the different initiatives we are running will bear fruit and we`ll get some extra Pars fans each season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4