Transfer nonsense, gossip & rumours

Superally

29 minutes ago, Rossmcno1 said:

Let’s not be too hasty.  Remember all this stuff shown here from Twitter could be just made up pish.  Anyone can start a transfer rumour on Twitter and within 2 hours ends up being reported by some as “fact”.

Exactly. I've no doubt Wotherspoon has options but that doesn't mean we haven't put a deadline on it, nor does it mean we aren't speaking to more than one player.

He's been training with us and we've offered him a contract, so it's likely that he's fitted in OK so far.

The guy has played at a higher level for the last few years and has recently played at a World Cup. It's unlikely to be him dream to be at the Pars, so is seeing what's out there. If he decides that we are his best option, there's nothing to suggest he'll not be fully committed.

I also doubt that we're pinning everything on him signing. We'll both be continuing with communication and 'moving on'.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

There's holes in our squad that wouldn't be filled by Shaun Byrne. 

There's certainly bigger holes,  but another midfielder wouldn't go amiss,  we play 4 and have 5 plus otoo who can step up.  Byrne is fairy versatile and can play both the AM and DM roles we tend to go with along with box to box should we switch to a formation requiring that.   He's best DM were we do have the most cover but the idea he wouldn't be a benefit to our squad is simply not true.

There's still a bit of the window to go, ideally I'd have hoped for a least two by now.

I wonder where the strategy lies? Directors, Mcpake or both? Bring in players with a certain attitude, standard and location are great but obviously makes it harder as the last two windows have proven.

Mcpake wasn't shy signing players and Dundee I know he bought Cummings but did he bring in Griffith's too? (And Dorrans?)

Grant and Hughes were backed significantly and had a high turnover of players. Personally I suspect the owners have ultimately reigned it in and Mcpakes struggling to get the players he's wanting.

I thought Byrne would have been a good addition but there's nothing to suggest we even wanted him. Not confident we will have anyone new for United on Saturday. 

31 minutes ago, Al k said:

I wonder where the strategy lies? Directors, Mcpake or both? Bring in players with a certain attitude, standard and location are great but obviously makes it harder as the last two windows have proven.

For me,  its Meagle who is by far the biggest aspect in player recruitment.  We apparently have recruitment meetings involving cook, meagle, mcpake and mackay.   You would expect mcpake and mackay to largely be on the same page before entering those meetings and cook will mostly just be advisory in what money is available.  Mcpake has also stated once players are identified he has no involvement in negotiations. 

I’m genuinely not that bothered by Shaun Byrne signing for them.  Said before, he wouldn’t be in my choice in midfield out of the ones we have in the squad once fully fit.  It’s creative wide players and drive up top we desperately need. 

Rovers fans are desperate to make this a “he chose us over you” w@nkfest.  I’m not convinced we were even interested.