Pars v Airdrie

Superally

9 hours ago, Al k said:

Anyone aware to what the issue is with O'Halloran?

Think the gaffer said last update he should be ready for today's game.

He was doing a **** load of running on Thursday

Good win today, decent performance but got a bit of luck as Airdrie missed a few chances to get a draw imo.

Think we will struggle next week 

Edited by the saline hill puma

34 minutes ago, the saline hill puma said:

He was doing a **** load of running on Thursday

Good win today, decent performance but got a bit of luck getting a draw imo.

Think we will struggle next week 

No sure how we won but got lucky with a draw?

Think United will have a much harder task against our back line than Arbroath's. Do agree that getting anything out the game will be a hard shift.

Lovely goal from Allan, although we knew that already. Thought both of Breen's bookings looked harsh. Not sure the first one is even a foul, and possibly not the second either.

Credit to the Airdrie scorer, that was some effort to get his head onto that and get any power on it.

And what an incredible miss near the end. My eyes are shocking just now, so I couldn't make it out at the time, but wow. How on earth did that not go in?

7 minutes ago, Superally said:

That was a great goal from Allan. I thought he had taken a touch but he hit it first time. Tremendous stuff.

I think that illusion has come from the way he lines it up on his approach,  its not a reactive strike in the slightest,  he has seen the movement of the ball, seen the gaps and knew exactly what he needed to do before he gets to it.

18 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

Well, it worked today. We'll see how long it works.

Anyway, I'm not even here to have a go at them, I was just responding to the characterising of people with concerns about squad depth as "negative moaning", as if there was no basis for it.

And also the suggestion that fans needed to "give the players a break", when nobody is criticising the players, just wishing we had more of them.

I am struggling here. When people suggest the "squad is not good enough or big enough" then that looks like criticising to me. I also wish we had more of them and a Pele or two would be useful. We have what we have, I am sure this manager will get a couple of good players in soon. We also have a couple of very good players injured who will be back to make a difference. So called fans was, in hindsight a wrong statement and I apologise for that. I have been following the Pars since the early 60 ies and started going to games in 1966 when I was 9.

Just got round to watching the highlights. It showed up just how good a game Ewan Otoo had, I thought he was fantastic and should maybe have had a goal before he had scored with the great through ball from Edwards.

I thought at the time both booking for Breen were harsh and I've seen nothing to change my mind. In fact, I;m even more convinced the ref has had a munson there. First one, aye, maybe, but definitely soft. The second, I'm not sure what the card is for. He had a hand on him, which is a foul, but he didn't pull him back or cause him to fall. The winger leaning into him caused that. He was buying fouls all game doing this too, and the ref bought it every single time. Just another example of a ref who's never kicked a ball who has no idea what he's actually looking at.

Not sure what McCabe is talking about with the 'clearest penalty you'll ever see'. Fisher's hand is supporting his body on the ground and therefore can't be handball. This has been the rules for a good couple of years now, maybe it's time he learned them?

Last but not least, that goal from Allan gets better evry time you watch it. I was right in line with it as it went in, and I was on my way to my feet before the ball hit the net, it was that good, it was only ever ending up in one place. I'm chuffed for him too, as I think he's a tidy player, but he gets a bit too much stick for me. 

All in all, another great example of how resilient this team is, and a great 3 points. Onto a tough challenge next week...

20 hours ago, Lochalsh Par said:

I am struggling here. When people suggest the "squad is not good enough or big enough" then that looks like criticising to me.

It shouldn't be a struggle.  We play 10 outfield players and currently only have 1 fit player who can come off the bench and be trusted to make a real impact come Saturday.  We have another 3 injured and 1 suspended, but that will happen over a season.  We therefore need another 4-6 players to get us through a 36-game season.

I disagree with others as to how much of a scandal it is that we don't have them all in before the 1st game - and other sides in the Championship are in the same boat as us.  If O'Halloran is fit by the Rovers game and we get another one or two in before then, I am ok with that, with the expectation that there will be another 2 or 3 loanees in September.

However, I don't think anyone can seriously suggest that we have enough at the moment to compete over the whole campaign.  We'll go down if we don't add to what we have, which isn't criticism of anyone or anything.  Just a realistic viewpoint based on us getting injuries, suspensions and players needing to rotated occasionally, so that they're not all burnt out by the business end.  

• Upvote 2

On 07/08/2023 at 12:51, DA-go Par Adonis said:

It shouldn't be a struggle.  We play 10 outfield players and currently only have 1 fit player who can come off the bench and be trusted to make a real impact come Saturday.  We have another 3 injured and 1 suspended, but that will happen over a season.  We therefore need another 4-6 players to get us through a 36-game season.

I disagree with others as to how much of a scandal it is that we don't have them all in before the 1st game - and other sides in the Championship are in the same boat as us.  If O'Halloran is fit by the Rovers game and we get another one or two in before then, I am ok with that, with the expectation that there will be another 2 or 3 loanees in September.

However, I don't think anyone can seriously suggest that we have enough at the moment to compete over the whole campaign.  We'll go down if we don't add to what we have, which isn't criticism of anyone or anything.  Just a realistic viewpoint based on us getting injuries, suspensions and players needing to rotated occasionally, so that they're not all burnt out by the business end.  

Taking one part of what I said and isolating from the rest of my statement takes away context. I did say that we could use a few more players So I was not seriously suggesting otherwise.