Dundee Utd v Pars

Superally

Just to prove that games in the Championship and going to be harder than last season our second outing will be against the bookies choice to be the league winners Dundee Utd. The Pars head up to the M90 to face a team while newly relegated and perhaps had a poor league cup campaign did manage to comfortably see off Dick Campbells Arbroath 4-0 with Louis Moult stealing the show. The Pars have been a similar position challenging Utd before and we will all remember Petrie’s goal and Leish doing his “aeroplane” at Tannadice a few years back. More recently at EEP I’m still horrified at the game where we missed 3 penalties. Ultimately this will be a tough game with a small squad already depleted with Tod, KRH, Mehmet and possibly O’Halloran injured, and Breen suspended. It looks like the excellent Otoo will head to the back line if McPake plays with 5 at the back with Hamilton returning to the middle. Allan after his excellent goal may feature over Todd. Unless there are any new signings the bench will be filled with our good crop of youngsters. It will be a tough game and we will have to be at our best to take something from it but there is resilience in this team. An optimistic 1-1 for me COYP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

We've handled Docherty in the past, all be it never when he's played in a team of the same quality.  He's a reasonably good championship player, no more.

Just as well he’s playing in a good Championship team then eh? 🤷‍♂️😂

Im referring to his current form, in a far better team as you say and I’d say that’s more relevant than how we may have handled him previously. 

I hope I’m proved wrong and he has a shocker, I’m merely making the point, they are a good side with more than just Moult to worry about.

Having said that, as good a side as they are, I don’t think they were as good as the commentators were making out the other night. They ran riot due to Arbroath having an absolute holocaust in the first half. Despite Michael Stewart’s assertions, they were handled pretty well in the second half. I’m sure we can do the same.

20 minutes ago, Digs said:

I hope I’m proved wrong and he has a shocker, I’m merely making the point, they are a good side with more than just Moult to worry about.

Oh yes, we need to be on it for sure,  personally as soon as you mentioned docherty I started to wonder about middelton,  and I realized if 3 posters are picking 3 different players it ends up becoming a little pointless focusing on individuals and we'll need to beat the full team instead of it being a case of if we can stop 1 player we'll be ok.

That said,  We are capable. Giving teams a few goals headstart isn't our game.

If it wasn't for an incredibly stupid backpass they wouldn't of had enough to beat Falkirk on top of getting beat off Spartans and Patrick in the league cup all be it that was pre-moult.  League cup games can give a false impression but so can going catching a part-time team also not in great form and taking a few goals off them.    

• Upvote 1