Partick v Pars

Superally

Finally had the courage to watch the highlights after witnessing it first hand on Saturday. 

I thought we were brighter on the ball than the highlights showed and we created enough decent chances at crucial times for the game to be different. 

However, off the ball, we were atrocious. disorganised, second to every ball, and shape all over the shop, which is completely unlike us to be fair.

I think it's a bit unfair to single out the keeper. He wasn't the only one who made mistakes, you could pick out several of them for that. He at least made 3 or 4 good saves to make up for it, particularly from the big man who came on for Thistle. 

I don't think it's possible to choose a MOTM from that, as no-one did enough to say they even got pass marks, some of those not really their fault for that, more indicative of how the team played as a whole. 

We've got to look at it in perspective though, that's the first really bad performance we've had under McPake, and it was mostly down to us rather than us being out of our depth, so chalk it up to experience and move on.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Digs said:

. He at least made 3 or 4 good saves to make up for it, particularly from the big man who came on for Thistle. 

I don’t have the will that you have to watch the highlights but I have no memory of these.  

Keepers are always in the toughest position due to how influential any mistake will have on a game,  but it’s also going to be even more highlighted when it’s the one position we have proven quality that can come in.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I don’t have the will that you have to watch the highlights but I have no memory of these.  

Keepers are always in the toughest position due to how influential any mistake will have on a game,  but it’s also going to be even more highlighted when it’s the one position we have proven quality that can come in.

Any mistake a keeper makes is always likely to end up in a goal as you say, and if he wants to keep the jersey he needs to cut them out. His general game has been ok though I think.

14 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

I'd rather have a keeper that doesn't have soap for hands than can kick it long. 

Get a grip min .. he made some outstanding saves .. we were outplayed and it could have been 7 or 8 

But you pick out his worst/only  mistake 

What about all the combined mistakes the other players made that led to the goals .. or does that not matter ?

19 minutes ago, buspasspar said:

Get a grip min .. he made some outstanding saves .. we were outplayed and it could have been 7 or 8 

What about all the combined mistakes the other players made that led to the goals .. or does that not matter ?

He's the subject of the thread at the moment and I just haven't seen enough to suggest he's good enough.

His two mistakes have been costly and I am the first to say that happens to any goalie. But honestly that's the first game where he's had a lot to do and to be honest, I really just don't see the quality others see. 

If you want me to mention others making mistakes, I thought Otoo looked shaky at times and Comrie had a shocker on the ball for once. Nobody, nobody looked decent. 

Just hoping for a reaction next week. A one off is acceptable to me at this level, it happens to the best of teams. 

1 hour ago, buspasspar said:

Genuinely don’t have a clue what people are talking about outstanding saves, I couldn’t count one he shouldn’t have saved all season and felt on Saturday there were some even outside the 2nd he should have done better on, the effort that Otoo cleared off the line should never have beat him at that angle and there was a shot with about 10 to go which he should have held comfortably but ended up palming over after he dived past it and had to react(well to be fair) with his hands above his waist, at Inverness he was fortunate the offside effort was given as otherwise it would have been another poor goal against him.   He’s only played 7 games and is pushing an acceptable season long mistake rate, he’s covered ok whilst mehmet was out but that’s all he’s here for and the jersey must go back to our number 1.

Of course the rest that played weren’t at it, we could have put peak Buffon in there and still lost however that doesn’t take away from sharps mistakes. 

31 minutes ago, Al k said:

I thought seeing the team it didn't look a great shape. Obviously we couldn't douch with the injuries.

Didn't see the game but I assumed that was the bigger cause of the issues? 

I honestly still think we have been massively outplayed with a full squad playing to that standard, it would have been nice to bring on 5 boys and try and turn it around but we were just too far off it for that to be even a possibility,  we’re looking at a 3-1 rather than 3-0 IMO, bad day at the office but ATM we can just right it off as a blip and reset for arbroath.  I don’t think there’s a root cause behind it that we must address.

Edited by parsforlife