Is McPake's time up?

Update: Should James McPake be relieved of his duties?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is McPake's time up now?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
    • Give him a target to achieve

1 hour ago, the saline hill puma said:

Based on what exactly? Two years plus of the exact same pish performances. Nothing to suggest we should be better. We are rotten on and off the pitch 

You've been at the pub today 😆 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, the saline hill puma said:

Based on what exactly? Two years plus of the exact same pish performances. Nothing to suggest we should be better. We are rotten on and off the pitch 

In the last couple of years? Based on being able to turn over United at home. Based on turning over Thistle away. Ayr at home. Raith a couple of weeks ago. 

When set up properly and in the mood our players can compete with the better teams in the league.

You obviously disagree. Fair enough. 

13 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

In the last couple of years? Based on being able to turn over United at home. Based on turning over Thistle away. Ayr at home. Raith a couple of weeks ago. 

When set up properly and in the mood our players can compete with the better teams in the league.

You obviously disagree. Fair enough. 

I tend to agree. I am starting to question whether I've over-estimated the ability of some key players but I do still think that this group of players should be capable of mid-table at least. Seen glimpses of it often enough that the ability is there but the collective under-performance still comes down to coaching. Lack of intensity. Defensive setup. Passive mindset.

Go watch the Airdrie highlights, from 4:24. Airdrie take a short goal-kick with us setup to press and we meekly allow them to play the length of the park with noone able to close off the pass, get a tackle in or chase/track the opposing player. I know he's just back from injury but they play a 1-2 round Matty Todd with ease and he can't keep pace with the Airdrie player. The ball makes it's way through midfield with little resistance. Defence and midfield back off and can't prevent what is quite a poor shot in the end. From a position where we should have a really good shape and have Airdrie well pressed, they cut through us with ease. They almost did the same from the restart after our goal.

Maybe we have a team full of ****ebags, but as recently as the Rovers game, I watched a team that had intensity, controlled aggression and pace. They have it in them but 9 times of 10, they're like rabbits caught in the headlights. It's just not good enough and that has to come from the coaching. Man for man, I'd say we have better players than Airdrie but I cannot honest say we could pull off the move I highlighted above. We lack the confidence, the composure, and we absolutely do not know how to move the ball through the lines quickly. It's clear McCabe is coaching his players to play that way but he probably doesn't have the players to pull it off. Yet. The difference is that I think McCabe will continue to improve those players while our players stagnate or regress under the current management team.

I like McPake and I'm thankful for what he's done under very difficult circumstances. But I'd still sack him today and go chase McCabe or Murray.

Edited by Auld_Reekie
  • Upvote 4

A maximum of 8 points available from this quarter, potentially could be only 5. That’s relegation form all day long. Top 4 is already out of reach (should’ve been the aim start of season). Simply can’t afford to let mcpake sleepwalk us into another relegation 

• Upvote 1

we should ask our owners if they are going to re- evaluate the targets set for McPake - what was it 44 points ?? 

Results and performances are exactly why the fans were clamouring that the Board strategy was mistaken.  With each game that passes with him in charge is one fewer match to save our season.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

we should ask our owners if they are going to re- evaluate the targets set for McPake - what was it 44 points ?? 

Results and performances are exactly why the fans were clamouring that the Board strategy was mistaken.  With each game that passes with him in charge is one fewer match to save our season.

It's a big question, a lot of people felt the 44 point target was ridiculous, when we are already well behind that weak as **** schedule then change needs to happen.

Sadly I think the current attitude would keep going down this path as long as 44 was achievable, got 11 points and 11 games left. Well no need to change cos 44 is doable.   We have let our standards plummet and there's no sign those in charge actually have a line they are willing to enforce.

I wasn't at the meeting, so relying on my memory of Digs' summary, but I don't recall 44 points being a target.

I'm sure they said that they were targeting 50 league goals scored, 30 conceded and to get to 40 points - with a view to assessing the targeting for the season depending on how quickly we've got to 40. 

15 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I wasn't at the meeting, so relying on my memory of Digs' summary, but I don't recall 44 points being a target.

I'm sure they said that they were targeting 50 league goals scored, 30 conceded and to get to 40 points - with a view to assessing the targeting for the season depending on how quickly we've got to 40. 

It was exactly that. Think of it like a project plan, it's a milestone rather than a target. First milestone, get to 44 points as quickly as possible then re-assess the next milestone/ultimate objective dependent on when that is and continue to do that when you hit every milestone.