Is McPake's time up?

Update: Should James McPake be relieved of his duties?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is McPake's time up now?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
    • Give him a target to achieve

Like others, wanted him to do well and I hope when he leaves, he isn't looked upon as a complete failure. As Superally mentions, I don't think he's had full support of the board and has been a little unlucky at times. I'm still hopeful he goes without everyone looking back and mostly blaming him for what has been a pretty ****e couple of years.

But the performances just aren't good enough. I'm not even talking results - just performances. The quality of the football is really poor at times, made more frustrating that there are glimpses of really good performances but these are too infrequent. Individually, it's hard to accept he's getting the most out of any of the squad - feels like key players are stalling or regressing. And tactically, we've been an impotent attacking force for a long, long time now and it doesn't seem like he knows how to change this despite having several different squads and transfer windows to address it if he thinks it's a personnel issue.

I think moving on would do both the club and McPake a favour. The club cannot accept current results as acceptable and need to take action, and McPake must know himself that managing us to relegation is bad for his future prospects. Unfortunately, current ownership situation has almost certainly led us to a place where we are unable or unwilling to make high-level decisions like this. Can only go on so long. 

• Upvote 3

Strange that Rhys McCabe was one of the hottest prospects in Scottish football a few months ago. I don't think you would think the same now. Its too easy just to dismiss a manager, but it dosnt mean that if we did get someone to replace that it would make things any better. Given the difficulties at Boardroom level and the perceived lack of support offered at present attracting anyone decent is going to be a real problem. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, scottyboy said:

There's a team in Methil, top of their league, managed by an auld guy. Seems to be doing well motivating players . Probably not good enough for us though.

Absolutely not interested in Dick Campbell. World has moved on. Just because he might do better in short term doesn't mean it's a good appointment. Put the job on the open market and interview the best candidates. With all due respect to Dick, our bar has to be much, much higher. 

• Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, Superally said:

Strange that Rhys McCabe was one of the hottest prospects in Scottish football a few months ago. I don't think you would think the same now. Its too easy just to dismiss a manager, but it dosnt mean that if we did get someone to replace that it would make things any better. Given the difficulties at Boardroom level and the perceived lack of support offered at present attracting anyone decent is going to be a real problem. 

Exactly what I'm thinking. 

We're in limbo just now. Trying to replace him would be a nightmare 

12 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Absolutely not interested in Dick Campbell. World has moved on. Just because he might do better in short term doesn't mean it's a good appointment. Put the job on the open market and interview the best candidates. With all due respect to Dick, our bar has to be much, much higher. 

Ach! You're probably right, Dick's no in same league as McPake. He'd probably struggle to get more out of us.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Secure Par said:

Barry Robson ex Aberdeen gaffer would be my choice. 
Chalmers?? The question would be is he highly respected in the team to take the job on? 
Deffo need an outside manager to have an effect and bring his tactics etc.

Chalmers is meant to be well thought of by the squad,  but its obviously a different thing being a senior pro and being the actual gaffer where you need to be the one making unpopular decisions.  Think if he did get the job it would be initially intern.  We also don't know if he wants to be a number one.  He's interested in coaching but that can take many forms. 

I don't think it needs to be a complete outside influence to change things up, there's many examples of players of previously background staff taking the managers job and changing how things are done.  Just cos someone is working within a system doesn't mean that they think that system is how they'd ideally run things.

There's going to be risk no matter what direction we go forward with,  as long as its a calculated risk and not one of the grant type decision that's done without weighing up the negatives.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Superally said:

It definitely will be an issue but if we don’t get rid I think it’ll be back to league one. I’ve seen absolutely nothing this season minus the rovers game to give me any confidence we’ll be able to win games 

• Upvote 1

I think the timing is wrong to be considering changing manager at the moment for three reasons.

We are in the process of selling the club. It is likely that the new owners will have their own ideas on who they want as manager. They may not want to find that they inherit a newly appointed manager that is not their choice especially if they intend to trust him with funds to buy players.

A new manager appointed now would have to work with the existing squad and not be able to bring in their choice of players before the transfer window opens again.

I may be clutching at straws here but the difference between the shocking Pars performance against Forfar at the start of the season and the Raith game was marked. Bringing in players such as Fogarty and Cooper,  the promotion of Young and especially the arrival of Tobi gives me hope that we might see better results in the coming matches. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kelty_par said:

It definitely will be an issue but if we don’t get rid I think it’ll be back to league one. I’ve seen absolutely nothing this season minus the rovers game to give me any confidence we’ll be able to win games 

Similar to last relegation, good against Raith ****e the rest of the time.

Only need to look at ICT to see dangers of getting relegated with ownership issues.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maltapar said:

I think the timing is wrong to be considering changing manager at the moment for three reasons.

We are in the process of selling the club. It is likely that the new owners will have their own ideas on who they want as manager. They may not want to find that they inherit a newly appointed manager that is not their choice especially if they intend to trust him with funds to buy players.

A new manager appointed now would have to work with the existing squad and not be able to bring in their choice of players before the transfer window opens again.

I may be clutching at straws here but the difference between the shocking Pars performance against Forfar at the start of the season and the Raith game was marked. Bringing in players such as Fogarty and Cooper,  the promotion of Young and especially the arrival of Tobi gives me hope that we might see better results in the coming matches. 

We shouldn’t be keeping a manager on just because it’s easier. The football is utterly awful and we barely create chances and for our manager to be an ex defender, he can’t even set a team up to defend well. Our owners might need to look at it soon as to what’s easier, selling a championship or league one club? Even if there was a glimmer to get behind I would but there’s nothing. Players have shown they can press, get in faces like they did against raith then stink the place out like Saturday. 

He's been in the job long enough, with enough windows to build a squad to produce better performances and results than what has been achieved this season - even if there have been some behind the scenes issues with budget/player recruitment.

A best case (and unlikely scenario) of 10 points from the 1st quarter, plus the debacle of the League Cup means it's time to go. It isn't easy changing the manager, there will certainly be a cost but surely a change is not going to see any regression from what we are currently getting? If there is more quality in the squad, the only way we'll see it is under some new leadership.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Patrón said:

If Chalmers was to go player/coach he would be on a hiding to nothing, majority of our moronic fanbase slaughter him at any given opportunity as it is.

Aye this is a worry when I suggest it, on my way out the main stand on Saturday a fan was shouting at the QP manager if he could "Take Chalmers back up the road with you, he's ****ing useless", another fan who I think knew him pulled him up saying that he'd been one of, if not our best player in the second half, with it being Chalmers who getting us going. The other fan replied by saying that "Aye, but he can't ****ing pass!". 

There's aspects of Chalmers play that you might criticise, he's playing at our level for a reason, but his passing isn't one of them. 

If he got us playing well and winning I'd hope people could he turned, but we're all stubborn to a degree. 

• Upvote 5