Transfer News & Gossip

2 hours ago, Eastendtales said:

Dangerous way of doing this if that's what we do. 

Stupid and flightiness. There's always something to moan about with our squad every league cup campaign. I can accept and understand being short of a few players but only one keeper on the books is terrible. I think the away tops taken the heat from the situation with the fans.

Injury or suspension to memhet and then any player we approach can name their wage. Shocking situation and questions should be getting asked at the next meeting.

Guessing the youth player can't be named as he isn't on a professional contract? 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Al k said:

Stupid and flightiness. There's always something to moan about with our squad every league cup campaign. I can accept and understand being short of a few players but only one keeper on the books is terrible. I think the away tops taken the heat from the situation with the fans.

Injury or suspension to memhet and then any player we approach can name their wage. Shocking situation and questions should be getting asked at the next meeting.

Guessing the youth player can't be named as he isn't on a professional contract? 

Youth players only a 15 year old so can’t be signed pro… he’s a really good prospect though and wanted by The Rangers etc.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Secure Par said:

Youth players only a 15 year old so can’t be signed pro… he’s a really good prospect though and wanted by The Rangers etc.

Yeah I knew he was only 15, is it only the league cup he can't play without a pro contract?

Never really thought about a 15 yo making a senior debut.

15 minutes ago, Al k said:

Yeah I knew he was only 15, is it only the league cup he can't play without a pro contract?

Never really thought about a 15 yo making a senior debut.

Its not the lack of pro-contract, amateurs can play league cup, u16s are specifically banned under league cup rules(these also apply to all spfl comps, not sure on scottish cup)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

Its not the lack of pro-contract, amateurs can play league cup, u16s are specifically banned under league cup rules(these also apply to all spfl comps, not sure on scottish cup)

Yeah pro contract was the wrong wording. Meant like a senior contract.

9 minutes ago, Al k said:

Yeah pro contract was the wrong wording. Meant like a senior contract.

As far as I'm aware you can have players registered via the youth registrations until their 18(or rather become illegible to play u18) you don't need to change their contract status to play them in first team, but they must be over 16.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Eastendtales said:

Breen and Wighton sound done to me. Sad to say, but if they're already out with this and that, it's not boding well.

I think Wighton needs both knees replaced. I think we will also see Bene in and out of the team this season.

One GK on the books and then you have the likes of Breen, Kane, Wighton, Bene, Wotherspoon, McCann and Todd that are going to be in and out the team all season.

We haven't had a competitive game yet and we've already been missing Wighton, Kane, Bene, Todd and will probably be missing Breen this weekend. O'halloran is about as much use as a man down as well but we're lumbered with him as he's under contract and nobody else will touch him. Another season, another tiny injury prone squad and only one GK as it stands......... it doesn't look promising.

We have a massive start to the season playing the scum and the wee team within the first 5 games...... have a bad start and lose them, then the KDM will be toxic with the management/owners heads on the chopping block!

40 minutes ago, El Patrón said:

One GK on the books and then you have the likes of Breen, Kane, Wighton, Bene, Wotherspoon, McCann and Todd that are going to be in and out the team all season.

We haven't had a competitive game yet and we've already been missing Wighton, Kane, Bene, Todd and will probably be missing Breen this weekend. O'halloran is about as much use as a man down as well but we're lumbered with him as he's under contract and nobody else will touch him. Another season, another tiny injury prone squad and only one GK as it stands......... it doesn't look promising.

We have a massive start to the season playing the scum and the wee team within the first 5 games...... have a bad start and lose them, then the KDM will be toxic with the management/owners heads on the chopping block!

You can criticise McCann for a few things but being injury prone???

While the news of injuries doesn't look good, it might also be that the club are being ultra-cautious at a time when players fitness is still improving and there isn't actually any need to take a risk on players. Perfectly normal for guys to be sore or stiff during, let's be honest, what would normally still be pre-season until recently. If we're into start/middle of August and guys haven't been able to play, there's definitely a problem.

On the goalkeeping issue, it's definitely something that needs addressed by the weekend but I don't buy that it's an embarrassment. There's always risk and you determine how exposed you are to the risk and what you need to do to mitigate it - without wishing to jinx it, you'd like to think Mehmet getting injured tonight, after barely ever being injured, has a very low possibility of happening and so it seems reasonable to continue trying to get the right keeper in rather than rushing out and getting whoever we can at short notice. They're definitely behind though and I assume this means the trialist hasn't worked out, but it's not as if they haven't tried at all. This changes as we approach the weekend and play Livingston, where you would expect the match intensity to increase and Mehmet to be under far greater pressure.

Edited by Auld_Reekie
  • Upvote 3

All ifs and buts. But if we have to put an outfield player in goals, due to no back up GK, then it’s pathetic stuff. When we made huge losses, lack of cup runs was given as a reason. So surely to ****, in our best chance of progression in this cup in last few seasons, we should’ve had the basics in place? This isn’t Sunday league ! Get through to next round and get rangers/celtic then that’s about a £200k windfall for the club and could even get an extra player in 

• Upvote 5