Transfer News & Gossip

4 minutes ago, Grant said:

I don't understand how so many levels of this signing can fail. McPake is an ex player, how did he not know the rules? Cook and Meggle are in charge of contracts I beleive, how can they not know one of the most basic, simple rules?Β 

Can't blame McPake. Meggle and Cook deal with the transfers.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rosythpar said:

Can't blame McPake. Meggle and Cook deal with the transfers.

You don't reckon McPake is consulted at any stage with regards to contracts or how wages will effect future transfers?Β 

6 minutes ago, Grant said:

You don't reckon McPake is consulted at any stage with regards to contracts or how wages will effect future transfers?Β 

Yes but he's not the one dealing with contracts, that is David Cook. McPake will be blamed for many things ATM but not this. This embarrassment is from the boardroom.

Unbelievably poor, there is no excuses or mitigation. The club no have a big decision to make

Do they persist with our 16yr old highly rated keeper as back upΒ 

Continue to assess McLean and offer him a contract to the Jan window

Do they go for another keeper on a transfer or loan who will offer challenge to Mehmet as No 1

Tick tock....................

3 minutes ago, rosythpar said:

Yes but he's not the one dealing with contracts, that is David Cook. McPake will be blamed for many things ATM but not this. This embarrassment is from the boardroom.

I'm not blaming McPake in the entirety, or even close to it, but surely when he heard that we were signing a player for a month that something should've twigged?Β 

I'd agree that the vast, vast majority of the blame lies in the boardroom.Β 

Just now, Superally said:

Unbelievably poor, there is no excuses or mitigation. The club no have a big decision to make

Do they persist with our 16yr old highly rated keeper as back upΒ 

Continue to assess McLean and offer him a contract to the Jan window

Do they go for another keeper on a transfer or loan who will offer challenge to Mehmet as No 1

Tick tock....................

15 year old. I don't think we can actually name him as backup in a competitive game.Β 

11 minutes ago, Grant said:

I don't understand how so many levels of this signing can fail. McPake is an ex player, how did he not know the rules? Cook and Meggle are in charge of contracts I beleive, how can they not know one of the most basic, simple rules?Β 

I think the rule change came in since mcpake stopped playing tbf.Β 

Even if not I don't think it's his position to know these things, it should probably be cook but tbh I'm not even sure it is cooks role to be dealing with that level of detail, generally most clubs have someone from an administrative background who keeps the club right on these sort of things.

Lang should be ideal for that sort of role no? Just on a consultancy before anything gets signed off, and certainly before it gets announced.

In a way we're lucky that this sort of oversight has at worst cost us a month wage on McLean, if for example we miss that there could be a compensation claim on a player that could us a 6 figure sum.

3 minutes ago, Grant said:

I genuinely don't know, but mcpake has been quoted as saying he doesn't get involved in negotiations. Β At what stage he stops being involved I don't know, is it straight after a target is identified? or once there's an agreement in the room on where that player fits in our salary structure and how long they believe that player would be a suitable for us.