Transfer News & Gossip

24 minutes ago, Deutsch Par said:

The mess that Cook made of the McLean situation is usually a sackable offence.  Let him go then we have some decent wages for players.

Looking at that situation, I still find it incredible that we mucked that up. David Cook apologised but did he not seek advice off Ian Laing on the board?, he's a sports lawyer ffs. 

• Upvote 4

I find it incredible that we still haven’t sourced a goalkeeper yet. 

The same boring pre match interview. We have trained well etc, then bigs up the youth set up.

No mention of adding depth to the squad.

7 minutes ago, MarkPar said:

I find it incredible that we still haven’t sourced a goalkeeper yet. 

The same boring pre match interview. We have trained well etc, then bigs up the youth set up.

No mention of adding depth to the squad.

In fairness what is he supposed to say pre-match?

Agree about the goalie situation though. My hunch is they are waiting for Oluwayemi from Celtic.

• Upvote 2

I think he's right: he has to get more out of that group. They are not playing anywhere near their potential and that's a problem that he needs to fix.

It is a little unnerving that there's no hint that they are still looking at certain positions, but you have to hope that's a given at this stage. I do suspect they are holding out for a good loan market given we've missed the boat on the best deals in open market. 

• Upvote 1

I'm completely fkn sick of us hanging around til the end of August, sometimes even the end of September, to finalise our squad. Our season started last Saturday v Spartans. We're already out of one potentially money-spinning cup, we play our first league game in 8 days time & we STILL only have one signed goalkeeper.

Really, really ****ed off with the Pars just now.

• Upvote 6

All fair points and being somewhat generous, I do think they recognise this - Meggle made clear they don't want to be rebuilding the squad each year, which is one side-effect of being dependent on loans. But if you find yourself at this stage in the open market and haven't been able to secure what you need, you are left between paying a premium, possibly out of desperation, or trying to grab potentially better quality later in the loan window. Given some of the players we're saddled with for another year, I am wouldn't be too happy with them going and handing out any old contract just because we are desperate - that's only going to compound the situation.

So while I might give them a pass for trying to be patient, this is still on those running the club - the transfer and contract negotiation side of the club has been an absolute failure for another season and it needs a complete overhaul. Something needs to change that gets us out from behind the 8-ball where we live under the threat of relegation and completely impacts our ability to attract players of sufficient or negotiate deals far earlier. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Raymie said:

AR, as an ex centre half(?) yourself, does that shape how you set up your teams as a manager ? 

That's vastly over-exaggerating my ability and experience. Genuinely. But like everyone else, the shape doesn't currently pass the theory or the eye test. It doesn't look like the best shape on paper and it doesn't look like the best, or even most comfortable, shape in actual games. I've never played or coached at any level of note, so I won't profess to know how to properly play a back three, so I don't know what problems he's trying to solve by playing it (as opposed to say, a back four). But from what I can tell, it's definitely a harder shape to execute well and puts more positional and tactical demands on the players - you only had to watch Fisher's head almost explode on Saturday trying to work out where he should be and where he should go to think that he'd be way more comfortable in a traditional back four. And he's not the only one - Comrie's not a wingback and it's hard not to think that he'd be better simplifying what is being asked of Ngwenya.

Ultimately, results and performances speak for themselves. We can complain about the quality of the squad all we want, but I'd find it very difficult to accept that McPake is getting the most out of what he has. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Grant said:

Gmbh are wondering where the moneys going and they're not alone. We're posting massive losses with this squad, inconceivable. 

File this under wild speculation with very little to back it up but with Friedrich Lass-Hennemann's background I wonder if he's been brought in to sift through the books and find what black holes are there. I wonder if there's basically a freeze of at least a slow on further funding until he has done so? 

7 hours ago, Piracy said:

Looking at that situation, I still find it incredible that we mucked that up. David Cook apologised but did he not seek advice off Ian Laing on the board?, he's a sports lawyer ffs. 

I think it's a bigger issue the structures aren't in place to prevent it happening over the fact it actually happened, as you say it looks like the perfect solution is already in the board room. 

File this under wild speculation with very little to back it up but with Friedrich Lass-Hennemann's background I wonder if he's been brought in to sift through the books and find what black holes are there. I wonder if there's basically a freeze of at least a slow on further funding until he has done so? 

I think that too. Googling him during the week, he's got an impressive background. He must be there for a specific reason, and, I'd surmise its relating to the losses. Too much of a coincidence.