Transfer News & Gossip

25 minutes ago, Al k said:

Sharp had a couple of horrors sure, but hes a massive upgrade on Memhet for me. If I remember rightly had decent distribution and actually found players when he went long too.

Really not getting your logic there tbf. In the few games he played he had a couple of horrors and he's a massive upgrade because he had better long passing? Not for me. 

27 minutes ago, Al k said:

Sharp had a couple of horrors sure, but hes a massive upgrade on Memhet for me. If I remember rightly had decent distribution and actually found players when he went long too.

Disagree. I don’t think he’s even at Mehmet level. He played a handful of games and chucked in at least three goals. 

6 minutes ago, Digs said:

Disagree. I don’t think he’s even at Mehmet level. He played a handful of games and chucked in at least three goals. 

And how many goals has mehmet chucked in since he came back from injury last September? Plenty. Even Mcpake has now called him out post match a few times for errors

Mehmet is in poor form just now, he is a notably better goalkeeper than sharp tho. 

I'd also note that whilst the cliche of if you make a mistake as a goalkeeper it will likely result in a goal is true, a lot of mehmets mistakes are ones that can be made up for, wether that's a misplaced pass that we can defend from or a punch that should have gone further you are at least giving defenders the opportunity to get to the ball first.  Sharps mistakes meant the ball is already in the net.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Grant said:

Really not getting your logic there tbf. In the few games he played he had a couple of horrors and he's a massive upgrade because he had better long passing? Not for me. 

You aren't at all, that's not quite what I said. 

By all the comments I have remembered him wrongly. Thought he played more than he had with the two mistakes.

30 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

And how many goals has mehmet chucked in since he came back from injury last September? Plenty. Even Mcpake has now called him out post match a few times for errors

I’m not disagreeing, but bringing Sharpe solves none of those problems does he? He’s worse, that’s my point.

20 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Mehmet is in poor form just now, he is a notably better goalkeeper than sharp tho. 

I'd also note that whilst the cliche of if you make a mistake as a goalkeeper it will likely result in a goal is true, a lot of mehmets mistakes are ones that can be made up for, wether that's a misplaced pass that we can defend from or a punch that should have gone further you are at least giving defenders the opportunity to get to the ball first.  Sharps mistakes meant the ball is already in the net.

Absolutely. He’s not at fault for all of the goals attributed to him, far from it. People have just made up their minds he’s garbage now therefore every goal we concede is his fault. Most of the time it’s a combination of him and atrocious defending. Our defence gets off far too lightly at times, just look at the amount of goals we concede from set pieces. 

Mehmet has been poor but if we’re quoting McPake, he also said that it’s obvious he’s struggling for form and he (McPake) can’t do anything about it as he’s normally take him out and let him get his confidence back. As it stands, he’s been hung out to dry by having no challenge to help him be better or replace him when it needs done. Instead, his already shaky confidence is getting battered further. 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Digs said:

I’m not disagreeing, but bringing Sharpe solves none of those problems does he? He’s worse, that’s my point.

Na totally agree, it would actually sum up our horrendous transfer ‘strategy’ if he did sign 

28 minutes ago, Digs said:

He’s not at fault for all of the goals attributed to him, far from it. People have just made up their minds he’s garbage now therefore every goal we concede is his fault.

It's Chris Smith all over again. Mistakes? Yes. As many as people said? Not nearly. Barracked by a portion of his own fans, during matches as if that would somehow help? Yep.

History may not repeat, but it sure does rhyme sometimes.

• Upvote 1

The players have no confidence in him either and there was a few occasions on Saturday where the easy ball was back to him from the defence and they went out their way to avoid it and preferred to turn and put it out the park or lump it.

Even all the old duffers in the main stand gave a sarcastic “waaaaayyyyy” when he managed to catch a simple cross on Saturday against Cove. Just wait until there’s a full crowd in there on his back. He needs a replacement ASAP

He’s a half decent shot stopper, but he is too hesitant at coming off his line and his distribution is garbage. 

2 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

It's Chris Smith all over again. Mistakes? Yes. As many as people said? Not nearly. Barracked by a portion of his own fans, during matches as if that would somehow help? Yep.

History may not repeat, but it sure does rhyme sometimes.

On Chris Smith he did get a shed load of abuse which absolutely won't help. However his first game back in the SPL after Gallagher got injured at Tynecastle was wild. He'd lost allot of weight, I remember the Norrie giving him a big reception when he ran to the goals, loads of clapping and support. Everyone wanted him to succeed. 

Punched a ball into the net from a corner half an hour in, was also at fault for the second goal. You'd have been as well as relegating us then. 

I think the Mehmet situation played out just last season with McCann, he started the season on fire, gradually lost some form, instead of him being taken out, maybe used as an impact sub for a couple of weeks etc he was ran into the ground because we had no one else. Form went through the floor, his head went down, the fans got on his back, was brutal. 

• Like 1

Mehmet has been at fault for some and that makes him an easy target. However the defence in many of the friendlies and cup games has been barely competent and equally questions have to be asked of them as well.

• Upvote 2

I hate when players get singled out for abuse and unsubstantiated abuse at that and for usually for no other reason than the perpetrator being a twisted fud. Yeah get on the players case when they're out of order etc, but, come on min, look at the whole team just now.

I say get off his case.

• Upvote 3