Transfer News & Gossip

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Think we are crying out for an attacking creative midfielder who can pop in with 8-10 goals a season , that aint Byrne.

We’ve got that in Matty Todd. Hopefully a full pre season can kick him on

I don't think I'd describe Matty Todd as a creative midfielder. His energy and pace and ability to get beyond the front man would be his best attribute?

Sean Byrne could do very well in an advanced midfield role? He's got good feet and an eye for a pass.

1 hour ago, Raymie said:

I don't think I'd describe Matty Todd as a creative midfielder. His energy and pace and ability to get beyond the front man would be his best attribute?

Sean Byrne could do very well in an advanced midfield role? He's got good feet and an eye for a pass.

I agree @Raymie, I quite like Byrne and think he could do us a job. However I think Mochrie would be better over the long term. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superally said:

I agree @Raymie, I quite like Byrne and think he could do us a job. However I think Mochrie would be better over the long term. 

They are surely two completely different players? Mochrie was at his best with the ball at his feet running at players. We played him as a ten frequently which I thought didn't suit him though because his game intelligence to find pockets of space just simply isn't there. It might come with time but he would frequently just be lost during a game, McPake has previous for this in that he said that Rangers had said KRH was a wide midfielder, while he thought he was a more central one. For Mochries benefit and development you'd be far better giving him a stricter role out wide with some more concise instructions. Just because a player can run with a ball doesn't mean they'll automatically be a success as a 10.

I personally wouldn't really be a fan of the signing tbh, he wasn't a starter by the end of our league winning season, he barely started for United so I'm not seing him improving a shed load in the year to now say he should be a starter for us. 

With regards to Byrne he's morphed into a 6/8, we'd be signing him to do the role that Chalmers does in having a bit of on the ball quality that Hamilton and Otoo lack, he's probably got a better nasty side to him than Chalmers tbf. What I would say about Chalmers is that he's got it absolutely stinking from our fanbase, he's got a cracking range of passing and some amount of assist over the past couple of seasons. Getting softer in my old age but I find the abuse he gets on match day so unpalatable. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4