James McPake "Pars can't compete in transfer market with rivals"

1 minute ago, Number Eleven said:

The positive is that James McPake is speaking clearly about the issue and is actively trying to recruit players who should improve the team. Clearly the negative is we are being outbid at the moment.

One thing to bear in mind is that our club may be making offers within a balanced budget and it’s not in our control if certain other clubs are making offers outside their budget, effectively gambling to get promoted this season. 

Thats all very true but its every window, League one no one wanted to play that level, championship summer we made offers but everyone wanted to see what other offers and then winter we weren't attractive as the teams in the play offs.

Plenty of reasons from Cook but not much action. Just feels like its not our fault but.....

56 minutes ago, Secure Par said:

Iv heard Cook is a nightmare to deal with on the transfer front. Offered Stevenson a 1 year,wanted 2 then away to Rovers on a 2 year… Hanlon also signed today🤷 Our budget must be brutal.

In those examples I’m absolutely fine with 1 year deals. Handing out 2 and 3 year deals to an injury prone 34 and 37 year old is financial suicide. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raymie said:

Your last statement is important. I think everyone appreciates that this is the weakest championship we have had, so can understand clubs willing to take a wee gamble 

I understand clubs willing to take a wee gamble.

I understand it far more than not willing to take one, if we're not going to do it now I doubt we ever will.  

19 minutes ago, Secure Par said:

Stevenson was not injury prone and could have helped the team with his experience?  

I don’t think he’d ever have chosen us based on the fact he’s a Kirkcaldy boy and Raith fan. Giving a 37 year old a 2 year deal is wild, bullet dodged. 

Aye, some perspective here.

If Raith Rovers want to hand out long term deals to 4 over 30 year olds, that’s their financial decision. Personally think that’s crazy stuff but they’re clearly spending the prize money they got last year to get up this year.  It’s a big gamble and if they don’t get off to a great start then…could be trouble.

My issue with the club at the moment is simple.  We have invested significant sums of money in non playing commercial staff, and I’m not seeing evidence of improved output in recruitment, sports science(amount of injuries last season), matchday experience, and most importantly for me - general engagement and communication.

I’ll be blunt.  For me the chair/CEO as figurehead needs to be visible and communicating positively with the fans.     I thought his video statement at start of season 22/23 was excellent.  But since then - nothing for the wider support.  No interviews, no updates from him that I can recall.  If you look at the other clubs in this league, almost every single one has had their CEO/Chairperson deliver updates or video for the wider fan base.   Appreciate he’s held a few forums, and has attended some of the smaller meetings, but that’s no good for the vast majority of pars fans who can’t be at these events.  

Also, rather than berate him, I want to hear any positive stories people have about direct dealing with him.  I’ve read and heard plenty negatives - some on this thread.  Any positives from anyone that isn’t cutting through?  

As for the owners, they’re doing exactly what they said they would do.  I do expect they see David Cook as the man responsible for communicating their plans, are they happy that it’s getting through as they wish?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, rosythpar said:

I wouldn't believe a word most football clubs tell the supporters tbh.

Correct. 

2 hours ago, Secure Par said:

Iv heard Cook is a nightmare to deal with on the transfer front. Offered Stevenson a 1 year,wanted 2 then away to Rovers on a 2 year… Hanlon also signed today🤷 Our budget must be brutal.

Tbf those Raith deals sound honking

• Upvote 2

Rossmcno1 - Also, rather than berate him, I want to hear any positive stories people have about direct dealing with him.  I’ve read and heard plenty of negatives - some on this thread.  Any positives from anyone that isn’t cutting through?

I find David Cook to be an advocate for the improvement of the mental health and wellbeing of all the staff, fanbase, and our wider community. He is very approachable and a good listener who gives advice. I have started some initiatives in the club, which is based for the playing staff, in particular the graduates from the academy. This will be going into its second year when the season starts. This looks at self esteem and confidence. It can be difficult for young people to adjust to their first full time job. 

He cares about the local community and takes a keen interest in programmes that are being run by the Pars Foundation. The Pars Foundation doesn't just run football classes, they have educational programmes and others which look at the improvement of health, mental health and wellbeing. After our first meeting, he was keen to learn more about the walk and talk initiative, he joined us for a walk and talk, spoke to everyone on the walk and took a question and answer session after joining everyone for a cuppa afterwards. 

I have never been refused any initiatives which I have wanted to implement. If I'm honest when I have direct dealings with David Cook, I feel I am pushing against an open door, meaning I have confidence that he is on the same wavelength as me a believer in early prevention and early intervention. 

Edited by Eddie's Pars
  • Upvote 9

I honestly don't know anything about the guy Cook, that the first time I've known his forename, although I wouldn't ken what he looks like. I think McPake statement sounds like he maybe trying to push the board to free up some cash, doesn't sound good for us though.

5 hours ago, Eddie's Pars said:

Rossmcno1 - Also, rather than berate him, I want to hear any positive stories people have about direct dealing with him.  I’ve read and heard plenty of negatives - some on this thread.  Any positives from anyone that isn’t cutting through?

I find David Cook to be an advocate for the improvement of the mental health and wellbeing of all the staff, fanbase, and our wider community. He is very approachable and a good listener who gives advice. I have started some initiatives in the club, which is based for the playing staff, in particular the graduates from the academy. This will be going into its second year when the season starts. This looks at self esteem and confidence. It can be difficult for young people to adjust to their first full time job. 

He cares about the local community and takes a keen interest in programmes that are being run by the Pars Foundation. The Pars Foundation doesn't just run football classes, they have educational programmes and others which look at the improvement of health, mental health and wellbeing. After our first meeting, he was keen to learn more about the walk and talk initiative, he joined us for a walk and talk, spoke to everyone on the walk and took a question and answer session after joining everyone for a cuppa afterwards. 

I have never been refused any initiatives which I have wanted to implement. If I'm honest when I have direct dealings with David Cook, I feel I am pushing against an open door, meaning I have confidence that he is on the same wavelength as me a believer in early prevention and early intervention. 

Eddie, that’s great to hear. I’m a fan from afar of the work that you and those with you do.  It’s more positive stuff like that I’d like to hear about!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Re the question from Rossmcno1.

I have had a number of dealings with David Cook on issues affecting supporters with disabilities. On every occasion I have found him completely open and approachable, and (as Eddie said) seeking his support is like pushing at an open door. Above all I find him grounded in reality and honest.

I have no inside knowledge of how he conducts his CEO role, or how he performs in transfer or commercial negotiations etc, but certainly in the last two years it's been evident that he had a good relationship with the owners and football manager. The suggestion from kelty_par that he is failing in his job to run the club is incorrect, IMO, otherwise he wouldn't still be there.

Nobody is perfect, and personally I would like to see him take on a higher profile in communications and messaging. Perhaps it's not in his nature, perhaps he sees the risks of attracting hostility, perhaps he is uncomfortable not disclosing commercially sensitive matters, perhaps he just hasn't found the right channel yet (Drew Main's meetings are looking at this). But it's part of a Chairman's role to be the public face of the Club, and I hope David steps up to it as I think he has a good story to tell.

EDITED - As if by magic ...

https://dafc.co.uk/club-update-june-2024/

Edited by Stanza
  • Upvote 3

Fairly generic update thats not really said anything further than we already know, but it's a step in the right direction and more of this please.

Should be expecting some decent game time for the youngsters this season going by that. 

Also I noticed the training pics there may have been another keeper there. Was one with background fade, wasnt Mehmet.