James McPake "Pars can't compete in transfer market with rivals"

I'm disappointed that our overall level of debt appears to be hampering our ability to seemingly compete with rival teams in this league. However I also don't want us spunking heaps of cash on a multitude of players who really might not enhance our squad. Neither do I want to see us massively overspending to land so called classier players. Everything about the decision making is obviously about balance. In the main McPake can spot a player, obviously there has been mistakes but he's still a relatively new in managerial terms and he's passionate and determined about getting right type of player for our playing squad. Kane and Wotherspoon are a cut above as this level if they remain fit and focused. I think we'll see a few more come in and I'm happy to give him the backing to make further good additions. What other clubs do doesn't bother me. 

• Upvote 5

Couldn’t agree more, Piracy.  

Kane and Wotherspoon could turn out to be very important signings.  I’ve had enough of 2nd rate loanees brought in when the squad was threadbare.  Despite the injury to Todd, surely we can’t have an injury season like that again?  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Couldn’t agree more, Piracy.  

Kane and Wotherspoon could turn out to be very important signings.  I’ve had enough of 2nd rate loanees brought in when the squad was threadbare.  Despite the injury to Todd, surely we can’t have an injury season like that again?  

Yeah, last seasons injury situation was exceptional. McPake did make some admission that we may have handled some aspects of the injury crisis differently. Regarding the injuries he definitely reached out to subject matter experts in an effort to learn more about dealing with things more effectively. I like that about him, he's big on continually looking to improve as a manager. 

30 minutes ago, Piracy said:

Yeah, last seasons injury situation was exceptional

Exceptional, and yet also utterly predictable given the paper thin squad we went with. I wouldn't be surprised to see much the same again this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

Exceptional, and yet also utterly predictable given the paper thin squad we went with. I wouldn't be surprised to see much the same again this year.

10 x first team players out at one point, that was what was exceptional about the situation, nothing predictable about it imo. What makes you think we'll have that happen again? 

3 minutes ago, Piracy said:

10 x first team players out at one point, that was what was exceptional about the situation, nothing predictable about it imo. What makes you think we'll have that happen again? 

A combination here,

Yes we got unlucky/didn't appropriately manage injuries however with not having a large enough squad players ended up playing through injuries and made themselves worse, so they then joined the long-term list when they should have just stepped out for a week or two. 

Small squads not only make injuries harder to cover but also cause increased injury likelihood. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Piracy said:

I'm disappointed that our overall level of debt appears to be hampering our ability to seemingly compete with rival teams in this league. However I also don't want us spunking heaps of cash on a multitude of players who really might not enhance our squad. Neither do I want to see us massively overspending to land so called classier players. Everything about the decision making is obviously about balance. In the main McPake can spot a player, obviously there has been mistakes but he's still a relatively new in managerial terms and he's passionate and determined about getting right type of player for our playing squad. Kane and Wotherspoon are a cut above as this level if they remain fit and focused. I think we'll see a few more come in and I'm happy to give him the backing to make further good additions. What other clubs do doesn't bother me. 

Have to agree with this @Piracy. I feel McPake largely has made good loan signings since he has came in and we have benefited from signing some of those permanently. Last season was exceptional and a number of loan signings were made just to give us enough players to make up a team - MFW was exceptional and clearly at a level above. It was desperate times and you could see that perhaps the normal diligence the management would normally have made was not available to them.  

1 hour ago, Dave said:

Only paper thin with all those injuries. 

No, it was paper thin going into the start of the season, and many, including me, said so at the time.

All it was going to take was for us to get a few injuries and we would quickly find ourselves in a vicious circle of players playing out of position to cover, players being rushed back from injury and players getting injured again as a result - and that's what happened.

1 hour ago, Piracy said:

It was predictable that if we got any injuries we would struggle to cover them, that players would be rushed back and get injured again, and that other players would have to play more and more minutes, risking more and more injuries.

56 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

A combination here,

Yes we got unlucky/didn't appropriately manage injuries however with not having a large enough squad players ended up playing through injuries and made themselves worse, so they then joined the long-term list when they should have just stepped out for a week or two. 

Small squads not only make injuries harder to cover but also cause increased injury likelihood. 

Exactly.

23 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

It was predictable that if we got any injuries we would struggle to cover them, that players would be rushed back and get injured again, and that other players would have to play more and more minutes, risking more and more injuries.

My only point was that we had unprecedented level of injuries to key players that we had to manage and navigate our way through.

I personally never made a reference to the size of the playing squad, although I do take your own point about not having a huge squad that  made things difficult for us during that period.

Tbh though I'm not sure what size of squad is both affordable and practical for the club to have. 

Hopefully we can both avoid multiple injuries and make use of any lessons learned from managing last seasons horrendous situation. 

• Upvote 1