Cove Rangers: Friendly

33 minutes ago, Piracy said:

I agree. He frustrates me hugely.

He has the strength and physique but genuinely don't think he has a lot of natural ability or strong positional sense.

There's only so much you can coach a player.

You’re spot on.  I would add though that it hasn’t helped that in the past 5 years he’s had 4 different managers plus a bunch of injuries.   He should have been put out on loan on several occasions but never got to, and finally noone has a full understanding what his best position actually is.  I think as well he is a player who very obviously works better with confidence and belief.  Two things he seems very short of, and it can’t help that on every forum and social media platform there are folk writing him off and being pretty abusive with it.  Case in point is the .net thread(yeh I know) about tonight’s game.  He scores, and subsequent bunch of posts is about how poor he is.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tartan Army Par said:

things could turn a bit sour if we are not getting results playing the way we did last year.

That will happen regardless of how we play,  win games and fans will be happy, don't and they won't, it's not a complicated formula.

Now how we go about that is what mcpake is paid to do, and something needs to change from last season as I can't see another 6th place being accepted, there is some personal changes happening but not that dramatic, so likely something also needs changed with how the team is set up too but that shouldn't be based on some undefined concept of what is and what is not exciting to watch, it should purely be based on getting the best out the players so we score more goals than our opponents.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Yeah with one absolute arse making comparisons with lynebank hospital patients.

I really cannot stand some of our so called fans.

Disgusted by that statement on .net, I'm sure Brian and their Admin will deal with it. If anyone makes a similar statement on here, It will be removed and the person banned.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Superally said:

Any word on the trialists from last night?

One was Josh Cooper(?) that played for Stirling Albion last year. The keeper was someone with a 2nd name of Bellagambi (?) Was what I saw on twitter.

Re McCann, I think what he needs above all, and what he's lacked for the majority of his Pars career, is decent service into the box. Get proper wingers playing and swing crosses in and he'll usually either be on the end of them or at least in the near vicinity to fight for any scraps. I don't think the system we play suits him.

• Upvote 2

I'd agree with that. For me, he's an old-fashioned, bustling type of CF, who does his best work when attacking the ball and putting defenders under pressure. Get balls whipped in and he will get on the end of them. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Raymie said:

I'd agree with that. For me, he's an old-fashioned, bustling type of CF, who does his best work when attacking the ball and putting defenders under pressure. Get balls whipped in and he will get on the end of them. 

Which is why we need KRH on the right of a midfield 4 or 5 and not wasted as a WB.

• Upvote 3

McCann isn't good enough to play as a winger and he isn't a striker imo.

He cant time a jump so is pretty useless when the ball is crossed in (has he ever scored a headed goal for us? I cant think of any) and his general finishing is poor. He has power and pace but he has never really developed as a footballer and his decision making lets him down quite often in crucial areas.

You see glimpses of what he can do that give you hope that he will finally kick on as a player(like the goal v Rovers in the cup) but then he just reverts to being just a big unit who works hard.  He has never performed well over a consistent period, cant keep saying he has potential forever. I think this will probably be his last season with us unless he puts in some good performances over 15/20 games rather than 3/4 games over a season.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

Which is why we need KRH on the right of a midfield 4 or 5 and not wasted as a WB.

Agree. KRH is under utilised. Get him wide right and 20 yards further up the pitch. He has a good cross on him and is a nightmare for left backs. 

Edited by Tartan Army Par
  • Upvote 1