Pars v St Mirren Friendly

Still concerning that over 3 friendlies thus far we have only managed one goal. I know Kane is still to make his comeback but with the players left we still appear to be struggling like last season to score goals. Are we placing too much reliance on Kane to score what we need or is it still an issue with service - or even both. Admitedly I have not seen us play this season yet  

From the highlights I thought we looked ok. Folk saying Lewis should have had two, I say he could have was a bit unlucky I thought with two. KRH should have had a better shot with his main chance.

Mehmet's distribution is awful, Bene and Fisher? Adding a couple of WTF passes is a bit of a concern. The majority of St Mirrens chances looked to be self inflicted tho.

Always hard to gauge on 5 minutes against team starting their pre season.

Edited by Al k

23 minutes ago, Tartan Army Par said:

How did Wighton get on yesterday? Just ghosting his way though the game or did he look to get involved now that his injury problems have cleared?

wighton was fine.  I think it would be very harsh to call any game he played as ghosting even when he was struggling.  Is he the best presser in the team? No,  but in possession he always offers himself, can play intelligent positive passes and if he can puts himself in good positions in the box. 

I doubt he's 'over' his injury, the nature of it is that its something he needs to manage and will do for the rest of his career and possibly life. 

It frustrates me there's a number of players we need to manage even when they can play most weeks yet our BOD are unwilling to go with a decent sized squad. If we get the exact opposite of last year and get a good run with injuries we have a chance of making the (good) play-offs. If not then baring extraordinary performances from the academy players we are so much in danger of a poor season which if results must result in severe reflection, probably a couple of resignations and a complete change of strategy from an as yet unproven BOD/owners.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tartan Army Par said:

How did Wighton get on yesterday? Just ghosting his way though the game or did he look to get involved now that his injury problems have cleared?

It’s difficult to tell at this stage how effective he’s likely to be. I’d say his contribution as a forward was minimal yesterday. He certainly wasn’t putting himself about and he quite obviously wasn’t prepared to chase 50/50 balls or potential lost causes. When he dropped back into midfield he made a couple of superb passes / flicks which created definite goal-scoring possibilities. He just looks as though he’s being very, very careful. Maybe, with a few more games under his belt, he’ll offer something more 🤞

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Raymie said:

I saw Wighton play just off the striker a couple of times and he has the game intelligence to play there. The manager has not given him any more opportunities, though 

I agree with you Raymie. Wighton (33) often played a free role behind the No9 as shown in this video when he was 19. He set up 2 goals from the right wing and the left wing as well as bringing off 2 saves from the keeper.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SevenTay said:

I agree with you Raymie. Wighton (33) often played a free role behind the No9 as shown in this video when he was 19. He set up 2 goals from the right wing and the left wing as well as bringing off 2 saves from the keeper.

Aye, that looks a completely different player to the one we have now.  I worry that he might never be fully effective again at this level, even if he gets that position and support right. Injuries have done him in and we’re in this situation now of having two forwards whose conditions have to be “managed”.  Glad to have Kane on board, but reality is that at a few points in this season coming, both him and/or Wighton will be unavailable.

• Upvote 1

Can wighton be given the same role as Wetherspoon got on Saturday? I think he could.  

I think with adding Kane into that group we will go long spells with one of them missing, but if we can keep 2/3 available for the majority then good options are available.

• Like 1