Fan Groups Meeting Tonight

8 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I reckon if you want to run with 23-24 players, excluding kids, and adhere to a budget, you can forget about having players like Otoo, KRH, Kane and Wotherspoon on the books. 

Fair - but I guess it depends on the budget, and whether or not the limits there are inherent to our situation or just voluntary/strategic. If there's any wriggle room there (and maybe there isn't*), I'd be in favour of using it to try to reduce the risk of a much bigger financial problem should we go down again. 

* But, if that's the case, then the club should just say so - not hide behind the "disharmony" thing. If the truth is we have no money, then fine, but at least they could be honest about it.

Running too big a squad has led to some kind of disharmony in every football team I've been involved in. There's always boys annoyed they're not getting more game time and bumping their gums, etc.

While there's always injuries, we should also acknowledge last year was exceptional and it would be an over-reaction to change squad sizing on the basis of one freak season. Addition of a GK and defender (as suggested), plus a couple of loans seems to me to get us to an adequate squad size. A couple of questions about quality but I think if you increase squad size further, you start to dilute quality elsewhere.

Where I do think this debate has merit is whether key players we have signed can last a significant portion of the season. Wotherspoon and Kane are both fundamental to what we are trying to do, but it's an open question on how fit they'll be over a full season. Both are great signings but they come with plenty of risk. But again, if they are injured, questions won't necessarily be down to squad size but whether we're taking on too much risk with guys with injury concerns. 

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I didn't know your missus was involved, but I think the same things have come up time and again about Stephens' offering. I'm also sure folk have asked Stephens directly. So if you're able to get a word in edgewise with the better half, then firstly you'd be doing better than I do, but secondly do you think the following can be passed on?

1. A lot of clubs now do things like different pies, especially a pie of the month... We've had bridies, sausage rolls, macaroni pies and I think that's it for several seasons now (do we even sell a scotch pie?), so given Stephens also do a steak pie, a steak and haggis pie, a donner meat pie, a venetian pie etc, will anything different be offered at EEP?

2. On Pie and Bovril and elsewhere, people have been suggesting that tap water should be offered for free. I'm sure in the past it was stated that the reason we don't offer postmix soft drinks was that the catering outlets were not connected to the water mains (I think that's also why the hot water urns are topped up with water from elsewhere) so is this accurate and if so, what alternatives cab be offered to free tap water?

3. Have Stephens or the club looked into some kind of collaborative effort (like the Sammy the Tammy biscuits) celebrating the links to Germany such as Bratwursts in rolls or even Bratwurst or Currywurst sausage rolls etc?

4. We seem to be one of the few clubs whose catering outlets close before or just after half time, whereas a lot of other clubs have offerings that are still open into the second half (especially for midweek games and/or cup games where extra time night come into play). We also seem to run out of hot food very early (soup and stovies almost always sell out during the first half; it's not uncommon for pastry products to be gone before the middle of half time) so is there scope for a slightly longer opening times and slightly more food?

Cheers

I’m going to preface everything I say here with the fact I have no say in anything that goes on in the kiosks, nor can I influence it. It’s based entirely on my knowledge of the situation.

The pies could theoretically be changed but it would mean dropping something else because there just isn’t the facility to heat everything up, you said it yourself it’s a struggle as it is and this would lead to complaints from others who can’t get their usual. 
They also only order what they think they will sell as otherwise it goes to waste. It can’t be sold again so it goes in there bin so getting the number right for any of the products is REALLY difficult.

Why should Stephens offer an alternative to free tap water? They sell water. If people want it for free they need to take it up with the club because it’s their kiosk. As far as Stephens are concerned from the time they took over and this was confirmed at one of the previous meetings I attended, it’s not drinking water in the kiosks and I assume that they come off the same mains as the sinks in the toilets(?)

On the currywurst question, that’s not a product they currently make, and neither does their sister company Pars bakery so they won’t be set up to manufacture it. They also don’t have the equipment in the kiosk to heat it up, and again, that equipment is all owned by the club, so it’s a question for the club. I’d doubt there would be enough incentive for them to go to the tooling and manufacturing costs to produce something just for the football every couple of weeks.

They never close before half time, unless they run completely out of food and that has only happened at one game I know of which was the Rovers game last year. Again, they can only estimate how much food to order and that is based on the estimated crowds which come from the club. On the closing time, it’s only ever closed when the customers stop coming, there is no set time and the kiosks all have to be cleaned down etc before they are closed. The guidance on this came from the previous incumbent when they took it over so it has never changed.

Again, I don’t work for them so this based entirely on my knowledge but I’ll pass it on and ask that they are brought up again. 👍

28 minutes ago, Piracy said:

Hi

Just a reminder, just let us know if you're interested in going along to represent this website (and yourself) at these supporters meetings and we can get that sorted out no problem. 

Yep, we’re not limited to one rep.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Digs said:

their sister company Pars bakery

I've been wondering for years if they were related - saw a Pars bakery van in Edinburgh and I was sure the logo was similar to the Stephens one, but never bothered to check any further.

1 minute ago, SanguinePar said:

I've been wondering for years if they were related - saw a Pars bakery van in Edinburgh and I was sure the logo was similar to the Stephens one, but never bothered to check any further.

Andre Serafilovic who owns Stephens, came from the family that own Pars bakery, I think it was his uncle that owned it(?). He married Rhona(?) Terris whose family owned Stephen’s. They took it over. It’s now jointly run by their son and daughter. 

The Pars name is entirely coincidental.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

I wonder if it's exclusive for them or if we could open up extra stalls for variety.

Not sure it would then be economically viable for Stephens if that were the case. I can’t see that ever happening.

28 minutes ago, Digs said:

Andre Serafilovic who owns Stephens, came from the family that own Pars bakery, I think it was his uncle that owned it(?). He married Rhona(?) Terris whose family owned Stephen’s. They took it over. It’s now jointly run by their son and daughter. 

The Pars name is entirely coincidental.

Ha, that's brilliant :-)