Fan Groups Meeting Tonight

It’s great that the club has committed to improving communications and thanks to Digs for taking the time to attend and provide a detailed note of what was discussed. I think it has really helped explain more about the longer term strategy.

In terms of recruitment I felt we needed 5 new players, followed by a replacement for Josh Edwards and with the 3 signings so far plus a new GK and possibly defender plus loans we will be in that area. We all hope that last year’s injury problems won’t be repeated. It was interesting to hear about experienced signings being ‘paired’ with younger players.

I would be interested to hear more about the long term strategy for getting into the Premier League - is this a specific ambition for the owners?

12 minutes ago, Number Eleven said:

It’s great that the club has committed to improving communications and thanks to Digs for taking the time to attend and provide a detailed note of what was discussed. I think it has really helped explain more about the longer term strategy.

In terms of recruitment I felt we needed 5 new players, followed by a replacement for Josh Edwards and with the 3 signings so far plus a new GK and possibly defender plus loans we will be in that area. We all hope that last year’s injury problems won’t be repeated. It was interesting to hear about experienced signings being ‘paired’ with younger players.

I would be interested to hear more about the long term strategy for getting into the Premier League - is this a specific ambition for the owners?

Regarding your last paragraph, I'd absolutely hope getting into the Premier league is an ambition for us. I think it's an obvious question but a good one tbh. 

I asked about a clear and coherent strategy for the club and part of what prompted me to ask that was that Gmbh Fussball had said earlier in their tenureship that they had a 7 year plan. So seemed obvious to ask the question I did. 

The feedback was that it wasn't easy to produce one given the volatile and the uncertain nature of football. It looks more like a series of achieving small term goals etc as pointed out in Digs summary. Ultimately ending up promoted to the top league is where we want to be, but in a controlled and sustainable manner. Not just spunking cash in a reckless and desperate manner like other clubs appear to be doing. That's all I really wanted to hear. 

The recent efforts on the communication front is good news. Having Thomas Meggle attend, open up and give more detail on their plans is important for me. I felt the Gmbh Fussball maybe weren't getting involved enough in speaking direct to the fans. Nothing against the likes of Drew Main, it's great he's facilitating these meetings and David Cook is forthright in his dealings with fans, but ultimately it's not their baw.

Looks like another mid table just above relegation/playoff again this season.. getting pumped of Raith and Falkirk…Let’s see what our German friends and Mr Cook say after this? 
Another season where we can’t compete etc… 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Secure Par said:

Looks like another mid table just above relegation/playoff again this season.. getting pumped of Raith and Falkirk…Let’s see what our German friends and Mr Cook say after this? 

Maybe Raith but Falkirk? Need to see your workings

39 minutes ago, Secure Par said:

If we're getting pumped off either of them, I shudder to think......

9 hours ago, Secure Par said:

Nothing, like a positive mindset. Before the season starts, eh!!

Edited by MarkPar
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Secure Par said:

And this is where the challenge is going to be, and the thing that stood out most from the forum on Monday. I don't think we are explicitly going out of our way to compete with Raith, Partick, etc, certainly on financial grounds. Obviously, we'll be hoping that players can step up and perform, but for this season at least (and while infrastructure investment continues and losses are significant), I don't think they'd see mid-table as failure. As long as they could point to another season in Championship, a stronger overall performance across the season and a better balance sheet, I think they'd be reasonably happy.

I don't think the wider support are ready to accept that. I think promotion playoffs is a minimum that's required to keep most folk happy. 5th/6th probably tolerable if there's a late drop off and we just miss out. A slow start is not going to be pleasant as it feels like patience is already pretty thin.

For me personally, I'm a fan of the wider strategy but it's a going to require patience and given the wider strategy and investment, I'd take 5th or 6th as long as there were some tangible positives from the season: a half-decent cup run, never really in danger of relegation, far fewer injuries, signs that some of the younger guys show real promise, Kane/Wotherspoon playing regularly and performing. Next season is when I would expect to see another step up in terms of squad quality and I would be looking for promotion playoffs as a minimum. 

First 9-18 games are absolutely crucial. Show some good form and I think we could be OK but if we start poorly, I really fear for the season - not convinced we are mentally strong on or off the park and EEP not going to be pleasant. 

• Upvote 2

I think one of the other issues that would maybe counter a mid table finish would be more attractive football especially at East End, Last season at East End the football at times was dreadful ,We didn't score enough goals.

If somehow they could replicate the Dundee Utd performance,  Morton the first time and Arbroath when we beat them 3-0 it may buy some time.

Another issue is having Falkirk and Raith in the same league I think that's an added pressure, We certainly can't afford the losing streak to continue against Raith and Falkirk are buzzing just now and the last thing we need is them rocking up the second game of the season and beating us.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

Maybe Raith but Falkirk? Need to see your workings

I don't want to come across as negative, but I certainly expect them to finish above us. 

Take the emotion out of them being Falkirk, and the expectation for a side coming from League 1 who have performed how they have performed should see them being a top four side. 

I've said it enough so I won't bore everyone with the details, but sides coming up from League 1 tend to do well and finish 4th, our position of 6th last year is the second worst finish of any League 1 champions since the playoffs began. 

So Falkirk, as one of the best League 1 sides since playoffs began should absolutely be targeting 3/4th.

With regards to us we are currently a weaker squad than the one that finished last season, what is there to suggest that we are a top four side? 

If I were to evaluate squads I'd say Partick, Ayr and Raith have improved there squads, Livi are an unknown really while Falkirk haven't lost anyone. Whereas we are weaker so far, if our final two signings are Supyk and the keeper then I'd find it difficult to find the logic in us finishing above Partick, Raith and Falkirk IMO. 

You can only hope Livi sink like a stone and Scott Brown bombs at Ayr. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Auld_Reekie said:

For me personally, I'm a fan of the wider strategy but it's a going to require patience and given the wider strategy and investment, I'd take 5th or 6th as long as there were some tangible positives from the season: a half-decent cup run, never really in danger of relegation, far fewer injuries, signs that some of the younger guys show real promise, Kane/Wotherspoon playing regularly and performing. Next season is when I would expect to see another step up in terms of squad quality and I would be looking for promotion playoffs as a minimum. 

Next season you could be looking at a fairly big rebuild, next summer will be the prime time to sell Todd, KRH and Otoo(Fisher aswell but I'm not expecting us to make anything on him), meanwhile Wotherspoon will be knocking on a bit and there's a lot of players out of contract. I fear next summer fans will be talking about how with it being a "rebuilding year" that they'd take 5th/6th with a push the following year... 

And on and on it goes. Last year fans were talking about it being a consolidation season, with the hope we'd push on this season for the playoffs, has that happened? 

13 minutes ago, Grant said:

I don't want to come across as negative, but I certainly expect them to finish above us. 

Take the emotion out of them being Falkirk, and the expectation for a side coming from League 1 who have performed how they have performed should see them being a top four side. 

Have they improved their squad? They've went with Donaldson & Lang at the back who are average at best and are now both medium-term injured. They have variable options in midfield to be fair but they currently only have 3 strikers signed, none of which are as good as Chris Kane. It's the defence for me. We came up with a record goals against column, very quickly we looked distinctly average at the back. That's where their problems might lie.

They have McGlynn who tends to overthink things & brainfart in the big games (here's hoping)

You're correct, momentum counts for a lot but it can quickly dissipate with a few defeats (see us last season)

Jury is very much out for me on their prospects. They may well finish above us, given how tight this league is that's not saying much however I'd be surprised if they got even close to Raith & Partick with the squad they have as it is.

Edited by da_no_1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Grant said:

Last year fans were talking about it being a consolidation season, with the hope we'd push on this season for the playoffs, has that happened? 

Obviously not, but we weren't a million miles away from 4th? 

33 minutes ago, Grant said:

Next season you could be looking at a fairly big rebuild, next summer will be the prime time to sell Todd, KRH and Otoo(Fisher aswell but I'm not expecting us to make anything on him), meanwhile Wotherspoon will be knocking on a bit and there's a lot of players out of contract. I fear next summer fans will be talking about how with it being a "rebuilding year" that they'd take 5th/6th with a push the following year... 

And on and on it goes. Last year fans were talking about it being a consolidation season, with the hope we'd push on this season for the playoffs, has that happened? 

Some sobering points there, Grant and I tend to agree with you