Pars v Dundee: Friendly

15 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

I'm not ready to unload on McPake at the start of a new season. I just think this squad is capable of mid table. If we fall short, I think the post-morten needs to also look at the coaching staff too. 

The owners are taking our good crowds for granted. McPake is a boring manager but his hands are tied.

They think they will maintain the same level of support whilst we all wait years to see if this youth plan works. It will take years to develop youth and will cost a fortune. Falkirk had to scrap a successful youth academy due to costs and they were selling guys for big sums fairly regularly.

Really think this youth plan is flawed and little bit delusional.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Ffs. Only trying to counter the argument that we have a squad facing relegation. As for the "standards have slipped" comment, 3 years ago Peter Grant and Yogi Hughes oversaw an absolute **** show of a season and 2 years ago, we spent a season in league 1. Last year we flirted with relegation playoffs. From where I'm sitting, managing at least mid-table would actually be an improvement.

1. All that shambles occurred since the fussball guys got involved.

2. I don't see what circumstances baring two horrendous sides which I don't think we have this season that means a mid-table finish doesn't at least at some point involve flirting with relegation play-offs. You need to be secure top 3 throughout the season to not worry about what's going on below you.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

Squads still got the same issues from 3 years ago. Can’t score goals or create enough chances. Fair enough last season with injuries etc but near enough every other team that’s came up from league one have had a right go and mostly ended up top 4 every season. Just think in a league wide open as this just aiming for mid table is a poor show

Maybe my point still isn't clear. Mid-table is my floor, not my ceiling. I was responding to a comment that the current squad would be fighting relegation. Mid-table is the minimum I expect for this squad and if we get a good run, I'd be expecting and hoping for playoffs.

On the goal scoring front, do you disagree with the Kane and Wotherspoon signings? If we assume KRH and Matty Todd have a more complete season, do you not believe we'll be a more attacking threat? I'm trying to work out what more and who the club should be signing to address the lack of goals if it's not the likes of Kane and Wotherspoon. 

As I've stated elsewhere, I'm a fan of what the owners are trying to do in terms of infrastructure and academy investment so maybe I'm going to be more tolerant next season than most. But I certainly won't be accepting of a relegation battle or a repeat of last year. 

11 minutes ago, Tartan Army Par said:

The owners are taking our good crowds for granted. McPake is a boring manager but his hands are tied.

They think they will maintain the same level of support whilst we all wait years to see if this youth plan works. It will take years to develop youth and will cost a fortune. Falkirk had to scrap a successful youth academy due to costs and they were selling guys for big sums fairly regularly.

Really think this youth plan is flawed and little bit delusional.

Fair enough. It's a definite risk and that debate will rumble on. 

3 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

On the goal scoring front, do you disagree with the Kane and Wotherspoon signings? If we assume KRH and Matty Todd have a more complete season, do you not believe we'll be a more attacking threat?

I do like the Kane and Wotherspoon signings a lot. Kane won’t get a full season out him let’s be honest. My mate who’s a st Johnstone season ticket holder absolutely loves him, and said if it wasn’t for injuries he’d still be there the now. KRH at this level, jury’s still out for me. Needs an injury free season but if we play him RWB then what’s the point? He’s a right winger, like where he played against Dundee United and was brilliant. We can have all the attacking threat we want but we don’t have strikers that score much goals 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Ffs. Only trying to counter the argument that we have a squad facing relegation. As for the "standards have slipped" comment, 3 years ago Peter Grant and Yogi Hughes oversaw an absolute **** show of a season and 2 years ago, we spent a season in league 1. Last year we flirted with relegation playoffs. From where I'm sitting, managing at least mid-table would actually be an improvement.

Just because I don't subscribe to the belief that we can build or buy a a Championship-challenging squad in a year or two, whilst also investing a significant amount of money in infrastructure, doesn't mean my standards are slipping. 

Starts are like skirts, or something like that. Cannae mind what the Aberdeen manager said. 

But why start at three years, why not the season before when we were in the playoffs? Why not go from the history of the club, where if we don't get promoted this season it will be the longest we'll have spent outwith the top flight since we made our first appearance in it? 

I did ponder when I got told by my mate at the meeting about Meggle? Making a point about us being humble. Is that a good thing? Do we not want to be a bit bold, a bit brash? "We've got the most fans in this division with the most illustrious history, we're the biggest club and we should be looking at the title!" instead we're talking about getting to 40 points, about another season of consolidation in the Championship. If you continually drive down standards and expectations you'll end up with a club on that level, if the owners are struggling to run the club on an even keel now, I wish them the best of luck when they've got the ticket sales of a mid table championship club. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

I do like the Kane and Wotherspoon signings a lot. Kane won’t get a full season out him let’s be honest. My mate who’s a st Johnstone season ticket holder absolutely loves him, and said if it wasn’t for injuries he’d still be there the now. KRH at this level, jury’s still out for me. Needs an injury free season but if we play him RWB then what’s the point? He’s a right winger, like where he played against Dundee United and was brilliant. We can have all the attacking threat we want but we don’t have strikers that score much goals 

Agree with all of this. 

It's very early days but I'm also liking what I've seen so far from Sutherland. 

On paper at least, I think we have much more attacking threat this season if we avoid the injury cluster**** of last season. Clearly pre-season hasn't been kind to this take so looking forward to the real stuff starting on Saturday. 👍

Edited by Auld_Reekie
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

On the goal scoring front, do you disagree with the Kane and Wotherspoon signings? If we assume KRH and Matty Todd have a more complete season, do you not believe we'll be a more attacking threat? I'm trying to work out what more and who the club should be signing to address the lack of goals if it's not the likes of Kane and Wotherspoon. 

The Kane signing is a good one, but if we were realistic about promotion we need another striker, Wighton and McCann have proved that they're not upto leading the line, when Kane misses games, which he will, we'll be back at where were foe the majority of last season. 

Wotherspoon is a good player, but hear me out, if we play him in the same system as we played Sommers and Mochrie, don't be surprised if he starts to quite frankly, look a bit rubbish. Both Mochrie and Sommers started the season well before tailing off pretty badly. Playing that 5 at the back formation with the attacking midfielder is so difficult. 

Allot comes down to the system, are we expecting KRH to suddenly start playing fantastic as a RWB? Are we not concerned that Josh Edwards, our top assiter has left? 

I'm not meaning this as an insult towards McPake, but he's not going to suddenly change his spots over a summer is he? At Dundee he was pragmatic, but his brand of football was frequently a source of grumbling, his two seasons at us have seen us as a fairly pragmatic side, this season will be more of the same. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

Enough of this pish

9 hours ago, Secure Par said:

our German friends

Exactly this.  Their nationality plays no role, there are plenty of grounds for criticism but that's not one of them.

Going forward any posts that references their nationality as criticism will be removed and the poster warned.

We're better than that folks.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Superally said:

Not made any of the friendlies, so i cant offer an opinion. Just wondered what's the thoughts on the two trialists. They have been given a good run out, are they worth a contract?

I've only seen the goalie once, last night, and I'm not convinced on that showing. He only had to come for one cross and he needed 3 attempts to gather it. A long ball came through the middle and he had a really high starting point, not a problem in and of itself, but I was convinced he was about to pick it up on the edge of the centre circle...

The full back, looks a tidy enough young player and will be a replacement for Fenton rather than challenging Ngwenya, and he looks ok. Puts in a decent ball, doesn't look all that confident sometimes though, often taking the easy option. Not always a bad thing, but he looks like he could be more adventurous and is playing within himself. Having said that, most players do in preseason games.

On 10/07/2024 at 23:09, Raymie said:

Possibly for a wee bit when Ngwenya went off but there were that many subs and changes it was hard to keep track. ? 

after the restart, we had Comrie, Fisher and Breen in a three 

Hamilton stepped back in there to play centre back. It was still a 4.

7 minutes ago, Digs said:

Hamilton stepped back in there to play centre back. It was still a 4.

Breen at lb? wouldn't want to do that much but I accept that you move players about much more in pre-season just to get the right players the right minutes.

On 11/07/2024 at 14:46, Digs said:

A long ball came through the middle and he had a really high starting point, not a problem in and of itself, but I was convinced he was about to pick it up on the edge of the centre circle...

Having not been at the game can you expand on why you thought he'd pick it up? Body shape? if so that sounds like a massive technical flaw in his game.

4 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Breen at lb? wouldn't want to do that much but I accept that you move players about much more in pre-season just to get the right players the right minutes.

Having not been at the game can you expand on why you thought he'd pick it up? Body shape? if so that sounds like a massive technical flaw in his game.

It was his body shape. It was only for a second or two but I definitely thought “wtf is he doing!?” 

• Upvote 1