Livi v Pars: Premier Sports Cup

There were also rumours of Cook receiving a significant bonus for securing promotion from League 1 which didn't make any sense at all. I'd expect a CEOs bonus to be tied to the wider financial performance of the club rather than the football operation, and it's quite clear the finances are in a mess. Would be completely irresponsible paying out the rumoured bonus. Until there's more evidence than just hearsay, I'll take a lot of what I hear with a pinch of salt. 

But it's been spoken about before. If the club want fans to be on their side, and to have patience through trying times, transparency goes a huge way to buying you time and credibility. The difficult questions are coming, and the are coming quickly. And they'll keep coming for as long as the performances on the park continue to fall well short of what is required. Cook and co have a very difficult few months coming up and it's not just the players on the park who's performances need to improve. 

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Piracy said:

You see, no matter how frustrated you get it's always worth considering not taking things to a personal level. I've heard all sorts of things but I'm not bringing it here as it's second hand. Just my opinion. 

Tbh that not really getting at Cook on a personal level but just saying he’s hard to deal with regarding players etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Auld_Reekie said:

There were also rumours of Cook receiving a significant bonus for securing promotion from League 1 which didn't make any sense at all. I'd expect a CEOs bonus to be tied to the wider financial performance of the club rather than the football operation, and it's quite clear the finances are in a mess. Would be completely irresponsible paying out the rumoured bonus. Until there's more evidence than just hearsay, I'll take a lot of what I hear with a pinch of salt. 

But it's been spoken about before. If the club want fans to be on their side, and to have patience through trying times, transparency goes a huge way to buying you time and credibility. The difficult questions are coming, and the are coming quickly. And they'll keep coming for as long as the performances on the park continue to fall well short of what is required. Cook and co have a very difficult few months coming up and it's not just the players on the park who's performances need to improve. 

Tbh the bonus will probably have been in his contract when he got the job and I’m sure he will have a bonus if we reached the Premiership..

12 hours ago, Secure Par said:

Surely not 100k for Cook? And he’s not offering an extra years contract for an experienced left back like Lewis Stevenson? So he goes to the Rovers. 
See if the team don’t perform I really think there will be turmoil if Falkirk win at EEP!  

I'm glad we aren't giving out 2 year deals to 37 year old left backs tbh 

Offering 1 year deals to someone that age is fair enough imo

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, the saline hill puma said:

I'm glad we aren't giving out 2 year deals to 37 year old left backs tbh 

Offering 1 year deals to someone that age is fair enough imo

It's horrific that my mind is saying that at 37 they'll be past it. Picturing some old duffer.

Then I remember I'm 38 ffs.

• Upvote 1

You can't simply look at someone's age to determine how useful they will be for you. Craig Brewster was 35 when he signed for us and was superb in his time here.

Thiago Silva was playing in the EPL at 39. Pepe just played in the Euros at 41 and Luka Modric is 38.

Some players look after themselves more than others and therefore, have the option to play on past 35/36. You will lose pace as you get older, but good players can adapt their game to compensate or perhaps play in a different position where lack of pace is not so crucial?

I think one reason the manager likes to play with three at the back is it helps our captain?

Edited by Raymie

You can tell McPake is ****ed off in his post match interview. The board should release a statement actually telling the fans what their ambition is, rather than hide in the background and let the manager take all the heat. The McPake out crew are already in full swing. He hasn't helped himself at times with his stubbornness in refusing to change formation/tactics when things were obviously not working, however if he had been given half a chance I think it would be a different story.

McPake & McKay got us out of L1 at the first time of asking without much investment, they then nearly secured playoffs in their first season back in the championship after a horrendous season of injuries. Most of the fanbase felt a few decent additions to beef up the first team this season would have seen us put up a decent title challenge as the league is anyone's. We aren't asking for millions here, just a little bit of help to actually get some half decent signings in and the board are asleep at the wheel and are quite frankly taking the utter ****.

There is an obvious difference in the fans expectations and the boards expectations, so they need to come out and be honest with the fans and do it quickly. Things are already at boiling point and its going to spill over and become really toxic. 

12 months ago the feel good factor and togetherness was the best it had been in years and they have made an absolute Noel Hunt of it since.

• Upvote 6

24 minutes ago, El Patrón said:

You can tell McPake is ****ed off in his post match interview. The board should release a statement actually telling the fans what their ambition is, rather than hide in the background and let the manager take all the heat. The McPake out crew are already in full swing. He hasn't helped himself at times with his stubbornness in refusing to change formation/tactics when things were obviously not working, however if he had been given half a chance I think it would be a different story.

McPake & McKay got us out of L1 at the first time of asking without much investment, they then nearly secured playoffs in their first season back in the championship after a horrendous season of injuries. Most of the fanbase felt a few decent additions to beef up the first team this season would have seen us put up a decent title challenge as the league is anyone's. We aren't asking for millions here, just a little bit of help to actually get some half decent signings in and the board are asleep at the wheel and are quite frankly taking the utter ****.

There is an obvious difference in the fans expectations and the boards expectations, so they need to come out and be honest with the fans and do it quickly. Things are already at boiling point and its going to spill over and become really toxic. 

12 months ago the feel good factor and togetherness was the best it had been in years and they have made an absolute Noel Hunt of it since.

I can tell you Meggle ambition for this season and the first one is to reach 40 points, Try and score 50 goals and only concede around 30.

When he said reach 40 points that was me done.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Legend85 said:

I can tell you Meggle ambition for this season and the first one is to reach 40 points, Try and score 50 goals and only concede around 30.

Was at that meeting and felt the exact same 

1 minute ago, Legend85 said:

They told that to a few folk in a room so it's only known if you read the forums. I'd say the majority of fans have no idea about that, so they should release an article on the website, or Meggle should be interviewed and a video put up on the clubs socials so everyone can see, rather then relying on word of mouth from the people who were there.

8 minutes ago, Legend85 said:

I will admit, when I read this from the meeting, I did feel they were setting themselves up for ridicule. But I interpreted them in a different way, in that the objective is to get to these goals as quickly as possible and then re-assess new goals for the remainder of the season.

I don't think they are bad goals - despite the criticisms, it's going to be very clear, very quickly we'll be miles away from the goals scored and goals conceded, and that's a clear and early marker for everyone that someone is very wrong. If they had stated ambitions for top-4 at end of season (like everyone wants), it makes it easier for them to defer accountability and ask for fans to judge them at the end of the season. Instead, I'm fully expecting fans will be able to go into the next fan forum and use these very goals to hold them to account.

This is a good thing in my opinion and good use of short-term goal setting that prevents being able to defer accountability. The down side is in the messaging - on the surface, it makes it look like you lack longer-term ambition. As I've mentioned before, if they want fans on their side, they should be more transparent about what success and failure looks like in the medium/longer term.

When I asked about the ambition for the season I did waffle on about us being arguably the biggest club and he asked my why I thought that and I must admit it caught me off guard. 

He said I should be more humble using Falkirk as an example when we both competed in league 1 where he thought they blew their own trumpet.

So I'm learning to be more humble about how I view dunfermline and our status in Scottish football