Livi v Pars: Premier Sports Cup

I think mehmet needs to take some share of the blame for the forfar goals, but for him to be picked out for blame for the livi goal is absolutely astounding, it wasn't perfect goalkeeping but it was so much closer to that than what a huge chuck of the guys in front of him could claim . Folk blaming that goal on him have made their mind up and are targeting minor mistakes.   If we applied that standard to all then there wouldn't be many(any?) who would meet it, including those who are seen to be legends.

25 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I think mehmet needs to take some share of the blame for the forfar goals, but for him to be picked out for blame for the livi goal is absolutely astounding, it wasn't perfect goalkeeping but it was so much closer to that than what a huge chuck of the guys in front of him could claim . Folk blaming that goal on him have made their mind up and are targeting minor mistakes.   If we applied that standard to all then there wouldn't be many(any?) who would meet it, including those who are seen to be legends.

Mehmet should have been anticipating the ball getting played through for the goal, and should have been off his goal line, to clear it.

Also Breene, should have had the awareness to see what the forward was doing, instead of ball watching.

Both errors for me, and both to blame for the goal.

2 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I normally stick up for Mehmet - for instance, I can't see how he did much wrong for the 1st Forfar goal - but I think he should do better for the Livi goal.  He hesitates, which gives Muirhead enough time to get there first.  

While he may have been slightly slow, I think for both goals he's let down by his defense. If it was Kane or Todd thru on goal like that, you'd be dissapointed if they didn't score.

Even the second Forfar goal the initial mistake was bad from Mehmet, the defending after was as poor. It wasn't as if he passed to the Forfar player in the box.

That's worrying for me, as we didn't make those mistake last season with Bene in the team.

My concern is that Kyle Benedictus has not properly recovered from last season’s injury. Two seasons ago he was a rock. This season he seems to be struggling. We can ill afford to lose his leadership in the coming months.

6 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I normally stick up for Mehmet - for instance, I can't see how he did much wrong for the 1st Forfar goal - but I think he should do better for the Livi goal.  He hesitates, which gives Muirhead enough time to get there first.  

Suppose we all see things differently, that Forfar first goal for me is horrendous, it can't go back into the area how it did. 

4 hours ago, lambo1885 said:

While he may have been slightly slow, I think for both goals he's let down by his defense. If it was Kane or Todd thru on goal like that, you'd be dissapointed if they didn't score.

Even the second Forfar goal the initial mistake was bad from Mehmet, the defending after was as poor. It wasn't as if he passed to the Forfar player in the box.

That's worrying for me, as we didn't make those mistake last season with Bene in the team.

I think we kept 2? Clean sheets while Bene was in the team last season, we still conceded silly goals. 

What I would say, is in amongst the performance being rancid there seemed to be a real lack of happiness in that squad on Saturday, communication was poor, players were snapping at each other. That's very worrying this early in the season. 

5 minutes ago, Grant said:

Suppose we all see things differently, that Forfar first goal for me is horrendous, it can't go back into the area how it did. 

I think we kept 2? Clean sheets while Bene was in the team last season, we still conceded silly goals. 

What I would say, is in amongst the performance being rancid there seemed to be a real lack of happiness in that squad on Saturday, communication was poor, players were snapping at each other. That's very worrying this early in the season. 

Agree about the players not looking happy I'm not a body language expert so I wasn't sure if my mind was playing tricks.

Players are not stupid they must look around them and think this isn't good enough.

Losing football matches will do that to you. Giving away cheap goals is a cancer on any kind of morale or confidence, mostly for goalkeepers and defenders, but it eats it's way through the squad because it places more pressure on midfield and attack to score goals. Knowing you are probably going to have to score 2 or 3 goals just to have a chance has everyone uptight and trying too hard. 

Goalkeeper and experienced centre-half by next Saturday please.

It’s great having a long term strategy but there’s no long term if the 1st team aren’t doing well.  Agree we need at least 2 more signings, but these are likely to be loans - let’s hope for more MFWs!!

On 23/07/2024 at 13:45, Yorkiepar said:

My concern is that Kyle Benedictus has not properly recovered from last season’s injury. Two seasons ago he was a rock. This season he seems to be struggling. We can ill afford to lose his leadership in the coming months.

Two seasons ago he might have been rock but it was just that, two seasons ago, he's two years older, and a league below this one. 

I like Bene as a leader but I've said it from day one, he's not a great defender. He was brilliant in getting the best out of those around him in League one but he still suffered from what he always has and still does, which is getting caught under the ball. He has been the same his whole career. In this league, when you've no longer got the pace to recover, and possibly aren't as fit as you'd like to be, that is a problem.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Digs said:

Two seasons ago he might have been rock but it was just that, two seasons ago, he's two years older, and a league below this one. 

I like Bene as a leader but I've said it from day one, he's not a great defender. He was brilliant in getting the best out of those around him in League one but he still suffered from what he always has and still does, which is getting caught under the ball. He has been the same his whole career. In this league, when you've no longer got the pace to recover, and possibly aren't as fit as you'd like to be, that is a problem.

Great that you, I, and it seems many can see that.  Why can’t our manager?  Indeed when the 2 year deal came out for Bene I was very surprised.  I like him, but at this level he will get exposed more and more often.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1