Livi v Pars: Premier Sports Cup

5 hours ago, Legend85 said:

When I asked about the ambition for the season I did waffle on about us being arguably the biggest club and he asked my why I thought that and I must admit it caught me off guard. 

He said I should be more humble using Falkirk as an example when we both competed in league 1 where he thought they blew their own trumpet.

So I'm learning to be more humble about how I view dunfermline and our status in Scottish football 

IMO we need more arrogance. Not even joking a little bit. 

It's baffling to me that the club with the largest fanbase in the division is talking about relegation avoidal as its first aim. It's not like the owners came into Dunfermline when we were on our arse, upto our eyeballs in debt etc. We'd just finished 4th in the Championship and we haven't came close to that since. 

We sell the most tickets, because we sell the most tickets that should then make us attractive for commercial deals. We should be starting the season (if we were run well) with one of, if not the biggest budget for the first team in the league. That's why we should be the biggest club in this division. 

If you continue to drive down expectations and performances then that's the club the owners will end up with. I wonder if when McPake was at Dundee, how there fans would've reacted to there main aim in the Championship to be to avoid relegation? 

4 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Before our season in League 1, our stated objective was to get back to winning matches.  That was derided also.  It didn't translate into us not wanting to get promoted.  

For the record, I am not expecting us to get promoted this season.

Aye, in public. As it turned out our aim, and where we budgeted was to finish at least 2nd. 

For the record, I'm also not expecting us to get promoted but that's because we've made an absolute roaring **** of it. I'm currently expecting us to get relegated, that doesn't mean it's acceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

47 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I think everyone should.  And then petition the owners to reverse the worst decision they have made to date...

Unfortunately it seems the evidence is gone.  Only 2 pods online that I can see, OFW and Dan Pybus.  

3 minutes ago, Grant said:

We sell the most tickets, because we sell the most tickets that should then make us attractive for commercial deals. We should be starting the season (if we were run well) with one of, if not the biggest budget for the first team in the league. That's why we should be the biggest club in this division. 

If you continue to drive down expectations and performances then that's the club the owners will end up with. I wonder if when McPake was at Dundee, how there fans would've reacted to there main aim in the Championship to be to avoid relegation? 

I agree with the general point but again, I think it's important to acknowledge two points:

• The current strategy involves short-term infrastructure investment than means there's no direct correlation between ticket sales and first team budget. Most people don't seem to agree with the strategy, and that's fair enough, but for now at least, the budget is more limited for a very specific reason.
  • I don't think anyone has stated the main aim is to avoid relegation. Again, the short terms goals that Meggle talked about have allowed that narrative to form but I don't think that really equates to just "avoiding relegation". This is obviously a failure in the communication strategy, made more acute by the concerning start to the season - had we looked like we were starting well, I doubt many people would care.

I expect they hoped that they could repeat last season, but without the injuries, and see if they could sneak top four and get a couple of good knock out ties to boost the balance sheet. Unfortunately, we've underestimated the transfer market and the teams that finish top half, have all likely increased their budget and improved their squad on last year.

This isn't anything to do with being more or less arrogant and debating whether we're a big club or not - the club are just in the process of really poor execution or being asleep at the wheel. Either way, they've got about 6 weeks to rectify it before it develops into nothing more than basic incompetence. 

I thought I'd revisit replies to my email to the club around March this year as I remember the line about the club being sustainable in the long term and the longer it takes to get back to Premiership, the more difficult that becomes. Yet the budget for the playing side does not seem to reflect any serious ambition to really challenge for promotion. James McPake appears to agree with that. I'd also suggest that any prize money from cup runs etc would be extremely welcome just now, or anytime, but the clubs plans aren't reliant on this type of cash. I'm just not sure at all.

It was pointed out last night that football must be the most difficult of businesses to produce a coherent business plan for as it can be extremely difficult to predict outcomes on the pitch which ultimately affect all parts of the business. All I can add is that the club are well aware of the need to be sustainable in the long term. The longer it takes to get back to the Premiership the more difficult that becomes. This also means not necessarily being reliant on lucrative cup draws, player sales and Covid grants as has been the case in multiple recent seasons. Numerous initiatives are being explored to increase revenue/reduce costs. Importantly, GmbH are fully aware and committed to the long term sustainability plan and are also aware of their funding obligations to achieve that. 

1 hour ago, Piracy said:

I thought I'd revisit replies to my email to the club around March this year as I remember the line about the club being sustainable in the long term and the longer it takes to get back to Premiership, the more difficult that becomes. Yet the budget for the playing side does not seem to reflect any serious ambition to really challenge for promotion. James McPake appears to agree with that. I'd also suggest that any prize money from cup runs etc would be extremely welcome just now, or anytime, but the clubs plans aren't reliant on this type of cash. I'm just not sure at all.

It was pointed out last night that football must be the most difficult of businesses to produce a coherent business plan for as it can be extremely difficult to predict outcomes on the pitch which ultimately affect all parts of the business. All I can add is that the club are well aware of the need to be sustainable in the long term. The longer it takes to get back to the Premiership the more difficult that becomes. This also means not necessarily being reliant on lucrative cup draws, player sales and Covid grants as has been the case in multiple recent seasons. Numerous initiatives are being explored to increase revenue/reduce costs. Importantly, GmbH are fully aware and committed to the long term sustainability plan and are also aware of their funding obligations to achieve that. 

Genuinely hilarious. Cut the playing budget and not back the manager yet they know the longer they leave it for a shot at promotion the harder it is

• Upvote 1

One of my questions on the 'wait until we're ready' narrative for going for promotion is that this is by far the best season to go for promotion in god knows how long.  If we're not going for it now then when? There can't be a realistic expectation of a weaker championship within at least the next 5 years.

• Upvote 1

I actually don't buy that this is a weak Championship. If anything it feels like the strongest in terms of investment and depth for a long while. Livingston might not be a standout team dropping from the Premiership, but Rovers, Patrick, Ayr at least are surely all investing a significant amount of money to chase promotion.

There is something not right at the club. I dont know what, but it smells bad to me. These significant losses don't go away for me, they've got to be relevant.

Also James McPakes press release and obvious frustration in post match interviews are a warning sign for me. Why is he so pi**ed off?, I don't think he's getting the backing he thinks we need to effectively compete. 

• Upvote 4

Like everyone else, I’ve never felt so dissatisfied going into a league season. Even under grant it wasn’t as grim as this going into the season. Major work needed and sad thing is I still think we’ll only get a goalie in before our first game of the league season 

• Upvote 2

Just watched Livi highlights and I think it would be harsh giving Mehmet too much grief for the goal. By the time he's staring the ball down, a number of mistakes have been made and it's 50-50 whether he stops it. 

Fisher drawn out of position, Bene gets dragged out of position and completely fails to stop striker laying the ball off, midfield nowhere to be seen, Breen completely asleep and fails to track runner or see the through ball. To criticise Mehmet after half the team failed to do their job seems overly harsh. Team captain opts to go mental at Mehmet. And it wasn't the only time during the game Bene goes mental at Mehmet either. 

I'm a big critic of Mehmet but he's in no way being helped by the players and captain directly in front of him. Definitely need someone in to challenge Mehmet, but equally need a really good, experienced centre half to come in too. As has been done to death, three at the back needs to go too even if it's just to see if players look more comfortable. Right now I'm more concerned about the number of goals we'll concede, than the goals we'll score. 

• Upvote 1