Cove Rangers match

The players on show must have had 2,000+ combined appearances at a level above the one that Cove - and Forfar - play at.  We've had all pre-season and we put out a side with absolutely no idea how to create any chances.

Chris Kane is going to have to do a lot of heavy lifting if there is going to be a marked improvement.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, MarkPar said:

I left just before 2-0.  Players have downed tools, for me. 

Aye, I'm not sure if downed tools is the correct term but it was evident to me last week at Livi that the players were done in. 

Very poor again, quite similar in terms of performance to the Forfar game. Essentially there was little to get excited about despite a change of shape and going to a back 4. Taylor Sutherland's goal was sublime and we only looked threatening once Sutherland and McCann came on. As a rule I generally don't like to criticise player, but clearly Mehmet's performance is a issue and we desperately need cover. However we need something better than signing a keeper who sits on the bench. Sadly It's difficult to feel enthused about the start of the season

I was there today and it was slow, laboured build ups repeatedly. Can’t recall a shot on target first half. Bulk of possession but did nothing with it. 
Poor goal to lose. Goalie at fault. Immediately made three subs and they did have an impact. A wee bit more urgency. We then lost another poor goal although it was a good finish and sublime pass from Glass. 
Then became more frantic and a superb goal from Taylor who spun and finished in one movement. 

Declan Glass was the best player on the pitch and would walk into our team. 

team is low on confidence and lacking a creative spark 

it’s really not looking good 

Wasn't at the match today obviously, but does sound like McPake and the lack of signings, means we've went as far as we can with the squad available just now. Not sure removing the guy from his position will make any difference. Most fans surely want to watch a half decent game of football, which we don't get many off. We obviously skint, so what noo?

Obviously McPake has not been backed by the board this season and just has to work with what we have. 

Heard he tried a back 4 and we were just as bad today. I would start Sutherland next week .

It’s just grim at the moment and I’m sure the negativity is going through the team now. 

Plus if we don’t have a backup keeper or someone in to replace Mehmet that’s just embarrassing from the club.

Another very disappointing result today. Regardless of the depth of the squad the players currently available should be good enough to beat Cove. Losing against Forfar may have been a one-off and Livi would have been favourites but it’s a run of 3 defeats now and it isn’t clear how we improve before next week.

I can’t think of a more downbeat start to a season.

Clutching at straws but it was a slight improvement on the Forfar game (not hard I am aware). We looked a little better balanced with a back 4, don't think we were poor defensively, Cove didn't threaten at all and the goal was a gift. 

Sutherland and McCann added something off the bench as both run in behind. Wighton by himself with Wotherspoon in behind won't work, neither run in behind the defence. Maybe McPake should have experimented using Wotherspoon as one of the central midfielders, anyway he drops deep to find the ball and Cove were not interested in attacking. Otoo has to start as well, probably in central midfield, although I'd also be tempted to use at left back to offer some threat down that wing.

15 minutes ago, Bucuresti Par said:

Clutching at straws but it was a slight improvement on the Forfar game (not hard I am aware). We looked a little better balanced with a back 4, don't think we were poor defensively, Cove didn't threaten at all and the goal was a gift. 

Sutherland and McCann added something off the bench as both run in behind. Wighton by himself with Wotherspoon in behind won't work, neither run in behind the defence. Maybe McPake should have experimented using Wotherspoon as one of the central midfielders, anyway he drops deep to find the ball and Cove were not interested in attacking. Otoo has to start as well, probably in central midfield, although I'd also be tempted to use at left back to offer some threat down that wing.

I think we can improve as I don't think we're at the bottom of an abyss with no way back. A few competitive games and we'll see a difference. Down, but not out is where I'm at.

• Upvote 3