Pars v Ayr Utd

This Saturday the Pars are at home and face league leaders Ayr Utd who after playing four games sit with a maximum 12pts. Without doubt they are the form team in the league early doors. Undoubtedly the Pars at present are the polar opposite - after three games we are sitting bottom with no points and yet to score a goal. Is there any positives to take forward, it is arguable that while the Pars have been flat especially in the final third, we have never been routed and games have been arguably closer than the results suggest. The Pars have some new signings: Mehmet has a challenger in Tobi Oluwayami at last. Josh Cooper played well in the game against Hamilton. And we have a new central defender in signing Tommy Fogerty. Trialist Craig Clay an attacking midfielder scored in the reserve fixture against Queens Park, so hopefully there is some promise that they will lift a team desperately short of confidence. Previous meetings last season were even with two draws and a win a each. A win against the form team in the league might be a big ask, but I think Pars fans will want a performance and at least a goal. COYP

• Upvote 1

This will be a tough game no doubt. It will be interesting to see the new signings and the impact they make (should they play). I assume at least Fogarty will start and it will be good to see him up against Oakley, as we always seem to struggle with his physicality, we need someone to get right in about him and take him on physically as that is his game, he's not a good footballer he just bullies opponents into submission and somehow gets away with murder every week.

I think Mehmet will keep the no 1 jersey for now as I thought he had a decent game last week and made a couple of really good saves, and I'd like to see Cooper start out wide left and KRH out wide right in a 442. I don't think that will happen though, it will be more of the same 352 nonsense where we expect defenders to be wingers. I'd rather see proper, actual wide players, supported on the overlap by the FB's creating overloads, rather than them being scared to make runs and our strikers having to run the channels all day. 

I think it will be a defeat, but not a hammering, probably 0-2 with us having lots of possession second half and creating only a handful of half chances. 

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Digs said:

This will be a tough game no doubt. It will be interesting to see the new signings and the impact they make (should they play). I assume at least Fogarty will start and it will be good to see him up against Oakley, as we always seem to struggle with his physicality, we need someone to get right in about him and take him on physically as that is his game, he's not a good footballer he just bullies opponents into submission and somehow gets away with murder every week.

I think Mehmet will keep the no 1 jersey for now as I thought he had a decent game last week and made a couple of really good saves, and I'd like to see Cooper start out wide left and KRH out wide right in a 442. I don't think that will happen though, it will be more of the same 352 nonsense where we expect defenders to be wingers. I'd rather see proper, actual wide players, supported on the overlap by the FB's creating overloads, rather than them being scared to make runs and our strikers having to run the channels all day. 

I think it will be a defeat, but not a hammering, probably 0-2 with us having lots of possession second half and creating only a handful of half chances. 

Rinse and repeat....

1 hour ago, Digs said:

Agree about Mehmet - until there's a reason to drop him, I don't see Mehmet losing his spot. Threshold will be low though and he's never far away from making a mistake.

I'm hoping Benedictus is fit as I think he and Fogarty could be a good partnership - Bene with the physicality when required and Fogarty giving us a bit composure and pace. Certainly expecting Fogarty to be an upgrade on Fisher (needs more development time I think) and Breen (who's perma-crocked). The lack of a solid third centre-half might force McPake to continue with a back 4, so Comrie and Ngwenya to continue as full backs. Ngwenya I thought looked OK against Hamilton but does have quite a raw look about him.

Something needs to change in midfield and attack. If it were me, Wotherspoon would be out. He's a luxury player in a squad that needs grafters. Straight swap with Cooper who unfortunately doesn't feel like he's a winger so feel we'd be shoe-horning him out there - while he has dig, not convinced he's getting up and down that line to be effective. I also don't like McCann playing this role either - was mostly to blame for the Falkirk goal because he lapsed on defensive duties but that's being harsh on McCann as it's not playing to his strengths. This is where our recruitment and tactics are failing - probably got away with it last year as Edwards was very strong and could compensate for weaknesses on the left, while this year, it's a gaping hole.

I want to persist with 4231 but Hamilton and Otoo not offering enough in attack, and Wotherspoon, KRH, McCann just not elevating their game.

Ultimately, McPake has to gamble on a more attacking setup that presses the opposition back and has their back line worried. Digs' 442 works for me with Sutherland alongside Kane. Could probably propose a decent 433 too but being a good attacking threat can't just be about positioning guys further up the field. McPake has to coach them better as a team to attack the opposition more effectively. I just don't see that happening.

Ayr will line up 4-4-2 as usual with the two big lumps up front.

If I was the manager, I'd go 3-4-3, with two markers and Bene spare. Dowds and Oakley are not going to outpace us, so we can afford to play a high line and condense the spaces between the lines, further up the park.

Danger men on the right are Henderson and Musonda. I'd probably deploy Otoo on the left side of our midfield four to take care of this threat? Rus is their creator in the middle and I'd have Hamilton on him. Comrie can take care of Murphy on their left. I'd have Wotherspoon in beside Hamilton for his experience and to use the ball intelligently when we win it back.

I'd certainly play with two wide players up high to stop their full backs from advancing, so Hosler and McCann deployed there. 

Kane to keep the two centre backs occupied.

I'll take a 0-0.