Pars v Ayr Utd

3 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Straight swap with Cooper who unfortunately doesn't feel like he's a winger so feel we'd be shoe-horning him out there - while he has dig, not convinced he's getting up and down that line to be effective.

In the preseason game I saw him play he came on wide left and looked like a winger and actually set up a goal with a cross. He got quite a few half decent balls into the box and was willing to take the full back on. I was surprised he came on at no 10 on Saturday for this reason, but apparently he can play both and play wide on either side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raymie said:

Ayr will line up 4-4-2 as usual with the two big lumps up front.

If I was the manager, I'd go 3-4-3, with two markers and Bene spare. Dowds and Oakley are not going to outpace us, so we can afford to play a high line and condense the spaces between the lines, further up the park.

Danger men on the right are Henderson and Musonda. I'd probably deploy Otoo on the left side of our midfield four to take care of this threat? Rus is their creator in the middle and I'd have Hamilton on him. Comrie can take care of Murphy on their left. I'd have Wotherspoon in beside Hamilton for his experience and to use the ball intelligently when we win it back.

I'd certainly play with two wide players up high to stop their full backs from advancing, so Hosler and McCann deployed there. 

Kane to keep the two centre backs occupied.

I'll take a 0-0.

Agree with all of that but the thing with going any formation with 3 at the back is that it always turns into a 5, and we get hemmed in/sit back too much and gaps appear in the middle of the park where the two central midfielders would then be outnumbered with the Ayr wide players tucking in and playing in the gaps our wide midfielders inevitably leave behind and they become harder to pick up.

I can never understand Pars fans hoping we get beat. 

First game of the season for me, Ayr are flying.  We’ll do well do get a point, but I’d settle for a good performance at very least. 

• Like 1

Who is wanting us to get beaten? I am desperate for  a win  , even scoring a goal would be a step forward. When I say I think we we will get scudded that is based on what I think the outcome will be not what I want it to be.     

2 hours ago, Digs said:

In the preseason game I saw him play he came on wide left and looked like a winger and actually set up a goal with a cross. He got quite a few half decent balls into the box and was willing to take the full back on. I was surprised he came on at no 10 on Saturday for this reason, but apparently he can play both and play wide on either side.

Was that not the left back Supyk who got the assist up at Cove? 

2 hours ago, Digs said:

Agree with all of that but the thing with going any formation with 3 at the back is that it always turns into a 5, and we get hemmed in/sit back too much and gaps appear in the middle of the park where the two central midfielders would then be outnumbered with the Ayr wide players tucking in and playing in the gaps our wide midfielders inevitably leave behind and they become harder to pick up.

Aye. We don't have the wide central defenders to progress the ball (unless Otoo plays there but the last couple of times I've seen him in defence he's been poor), so you inevitably end up with the dreadful build up play we've been accustomed too over the past few years. 

The 532 which has gotten popular over the past few years really relies on having these wide centre backs, and wing backs to make it tick and work. 

We don't have either now. 

9 hours ago, Digs said:

You might be right. I can’t remember the game I saw him, but it was at East End.

The assist bit can't have happened at East End Park, in the 5 games we've played at EEP so far this season (including friendlies) we've scored one goal, the Sutherland one against Cove. 

8 minutes ago, Number Eleven said:

Game day - is today the comeback starts. A whole n against the team at the top of the league would be a real confidence boost. I think it will take a change in approach, a change in mindset and a large slice of luck.

If we have a go at them, we might just score. Probably try keeping it tight and maybe catch them on the break in the final few minutes. You can keep your entertaining brand of football, better to try put our first point on the board .

1 hour ago, scottyboy said:

If we have a go at them, we might just score. Probably try keeping it tight and maybe catch them on the break in the final few minutes. You can keep your entertaining brand of football, better to try put our first point on the board .

I've always agreed with that. Points are what count. If I just wanted to be entertained, I'd not bother going to games and just go to EOS games.

5 hours ago, scottyboy said:

Balls to that, reminds of Scotland Hungary whenever I hear something like that.

For me, it's abour getting more players forward in good positions. If we're keeping possession I'd rather do it as far forward as possible. 

On 28/08/2024 at 07:54, Boston Red Sox said:

Solid tawing followed by rinse repeat interview, will work hard in training, got a response second half, felt McCann could have had a hattrick etc

I would be very impressed if McCann gets 3 shots on goal never mind a hat trick.

On 28/08/2024 at 15:28, Raymie said:

Ayr will line up 4-4-2 as usual with the two big lumps up front.

If I was the manager, I'd go 3-4-3, with two markers and Bene spare. Dowds and Oakley are not going to outpace us, so we can afford to play a high line and condense the spaces between the lines, further up the park.

Danger men on the right are Henderson and Musonda. I'd probably deploy Otoo on the left side of our midfield four to take care of this threat? Rus is their creator in the middle and I'd have Hamilton on him. Comrie can take care of Murphy on their left. I'd have Wotherspoon in beside Hamilton for his experience and to use the ball intelligently when we win it back.

I'd certainly play with two wide players up high to stop their full backs from advancing, so Hosler and McCann deployed there. 

Kane to keep the two centre backs occupied.

I'll take a 0-0.

Sounds like you have done your homework and that looks a sound plan. Slightly negative as you are looking at containing them and I would be looking for a surprise element to put them on the back foot wherever possible. I have no idea what that surprise could be though. Not a great situation really but your way just might be the best hope of a result.