Pars v Ayr Utd

17 minutes ago, Grant said:

Better as a team but beyond dreadful going forward again. 

Aye, the foundations were right,  but we are not creating anywhere near enough chances.  A good strike from distance is great but what's it xG?  less than 0.1 for sure and we didn't get anything much more than that throughout the game. 

Kane returning is getting us up the pitch and giving us setplays to try and work something from,  but we're not getting anything from these at least in first phase,  so we look to open play and its ****ing ****e, 

What I'd give for an attacking player that could be relied upon,  someone who gets fans off their seats, someone who attracts attention of 2/3 defenders and even if they aren't on top form creates space for others to do the damage.  A golden egg perhaps but I think its going to take someone of that quality to come in to make our attack good enough.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Aye, the foundations were right,  but we are not creating anywhere near enough chances.  A good strike from distance is great but what's it xG?  less than 0.1 for sure and we didn't get anything much more than that throughout the game. 

Kane returning is getting us up the pitch and giving us setplays to try and work something from,  but we're not getting anything from these at least in first phase,  so we look to open play and its ****ing ****e, 

Aye I said the same at the game, we looked better in that we had threatening possession, but it amounted to **** all. 

Otoo scored a screamer which can't be relied upon to happen regularly, McCann had a decent hit from a free kick and KRH had a tame shot from distance? And outwith that we didn't threaten, didn't have any other chances. Whereas Toby made a couple of great saves which wins us the pont. 

On the whole I can't say I walked away optimistic, we don't threaten enough. 

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

I thought we had 1 in KRH.

He was pretty much anonymous. 

Still think that could be him.

Aye, my mate was saying today how we haven't seen nearly enough from him for a long time and it's hard to argue, McCann was better on the right today than he's been for months IMO. 

5 hours ago, parsforlife said:

What I'd give for an attacking player that could be relied upon,  someone who gets fans off their seats, someone who attracts attention of 2/3 defenders and even if they aren't on top form creates space for others to do the damage.  A golden egg perhaps but I think it’s going to take someone of that quality to come in to make our attack good enough.

A Dom Thomas, perhaps?

KRH and Sam Fisher have regressed. Perhaps that’s in part due to injuries, but we need them performing to their maximums and it’s up to the manager. I remember a quote saying if we can’t improve these players..,.

2 hours ago, Raymie said:

A Dom Thomas, perhaps?

KRH and Sam Fisher have regressed. Perhaps that’s in part due to injuries, but we need them performing to their maximums and it’s up to the manager. I remember a quote saying if we can’t improve these players..,.

Agree it's down to the manager to get the best out of individual players, but if successive injuries have damaged their confidence/psyche I'm not sure he can do much about it. Maybe send them to a good psychologist?

7 hours ago, Grant said:

Otoo scored a screamer which can't be relied upon to happen regularly, McCann had a decent hit from a free kick and KRH had a tame shot from distance? And outwith that we didn't threaten

There was also Tod's flicked header after Ngwenya's lovely little turn. But I agree with the general point, we don't create enough.

Re KRH he hasn't been the same, but he also hasn't been playing in the right position for almost all the time he's been back. Whether it's being a RWB or as a LW yesterday, it doesn't suit him.

Get him at RW where he belongs (and not just for the last ten minutes) and I think we'll see more from him. McCann would surely be as effective on the left as on the right, so do that and maximise KRH's skills in his natural spot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Digs said:

Unpopular opinion, KRH is saft as ****e and hasn't been the same player since he got his second injury. Case in point, their goal. Rarely willing to fully engage, and looks a shadow of the payer he was.

A neutral who went along to the game with me yesterday said the same about him pulling out of and buying going in fully committed to tackles 

I thought we did well yesterday and competed against a team that was in form. Hopefully the team will get a boost in confidence from that performance. Playing in the cup next weekend against Dick Campbells East Fife if we can get a decent result (Which will be tough as they scored 5 yesterday) that should set us up nicely for the Raith game 

On 31/08/2024 at 23:26, parsforlife said:

What I'd give for an attacking player that could be relied upon,  someone who gets fans off their seats, someone who attracts attention of 2/3 defenders and even if they aren't on top form creates space for others to do the damage.  A golden egg perhaps but I think its going to take someone of that quality to come in to make our attack good enough.

This. 100% this.

I actually think that Saturday's performance has been evident all season, albeit only in the second half of games, but the huge issues is, and always has been, about not creating chances.

There's not enough urgency when we win the ball back. There is no overlaps, very few overloads, and when there is it's too slow and so the defenders have time to tuck in and close the space. 

I have no idea why we don't have anyone going beyond the ball, whether it be lack of confidence, or fitness or a fear of making mistakes, but we MUST start committing men forward in possession. As soon as Otoo, or Hammy gets that ball in the middle of the park, the FB and the wide midfielder should be screaming for it, up against their full back, make him worry about which one to pick up, get him turning.

It's too slow, laboured and frankly a cowardly way of playing. More bravery on the ball should be getting hammered into them every single day at training. 

34 minutes ago, Digs said:

It's too slow, laboured and frankly a cowardly way of playing. More bravery on the ball should be getting hammered into them every single day at training. 

I'm not sure that'll ever happen under McPakes stewardship tbh. 

I find the praise for the Ayr game, particularly in McPakes post match interview to be absolutely bizarre. That was the same performance as against Falkirk, the difference being that Otoo has skelped in a screamer that might happen a couple of times a season if we're lucky, and the Keeper has pulled off a couple of blinding stops. 

We were still totally lacking going forward, and realistically I just don't see that changing while McPake is in charge. It's been the case throughout his tenure that we've been pretty poor going forward, in hindsight I should've realised if you look bad going forward in League One when you're roping your way to the title, you're not going to look any better a level up. 

It just feels like first and foremost we are there to try and stop the opposition, after all our games I've heard our fans mention how the other team (Whether that's Falkirk, Ayr or Livi) don't look anything special. And it's fair enough, they don't. I think, and it feels though that we achieve that by being fairly hard to play against by being so risk adverse, we don't tend to pressure up the park high, we don't have players streaming forward in attack, or players attempting to take other players on. Everything about us going forward is risk adverse. 

The drama is that we're not completely shutting out teams like we did in League One so they are still getting chances, even Ayr had 2/3 guilt edged chances at the weekend where they could've won it. We're not imposing ourself onto teams, the focus week in week out seems to be about how do we stop them. 

It's gotten really tedious to watch. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Grant said:

I find the praise for the Ayr game, particularly in McPakes post match interview to be absolutely bizarre. That was the same performance as against Falkirk, the difference being that Otoo has skelped in a screamer that might happen a couple of times a season if we're lucky, and the Keeper has pulled off a couple of blinding stops. 

Is this really true? I didn't make the Ayr game but by all accounts, we did compete for decent portion of the game and there were a number of promising individual performances. The Falkirk game on the other hand was pretty abject and on another day, we could have been beaten by 3 or 4. Was hard to come away from that game with many positives.

Obviously, the performance levels continue to be below where we need them to be generally, but that's on McPake IMO. But there's at least an indication that recruitment might be making a difference and that can only be a good thing whether McPake remains as manager or not. The delay in approving any serious recruitment means we are at least a month behind most other clubs, maybe more. 

9 hours ago, Digs said:

I have no idea why we don't have anyone going beyond the ball, whether it be lack of confidence, or fitness or a fear of making mistakes, but we MUST start committing men forward in possession. As soon as Otoo, or Hammy gets that ball in the middle of the park, the FB and the wide midfielder should be screaming for it, up against their full back, make him worry about which one to pick up, get him turning.

Agree, what are we scared of? Now we're going with a 4-2-3-1 there should be little fear for the full backs to push on, they've got 2 sitting center backs and at least one of the deeper midfielders most probably Hamilton who can comfortably stay back and drop into a back 3 against a counter. and the 3 advanced players should automatically be seeing their role is to create chances, they're not going to do that standing on halfway. It's not been uncommon for midfield to pick the ball up and 5-10 seconds later the front 3 are not much further on, yeah they might get the ball at that point but what are you going to do from there? Try beat the 8-9 that are already back and set in their position? Good luck.

theres so many points to be gained for executing transitions well and we're not getting any.