Pars v Ayr Utd

4 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Is this really true? I didn't make the Ayr game but by all accounts, 

My account, we didn't. 

We "competed" in the Falkirk game aswell, it's not like they ran over the top of us, they scored very early, had a few chances and scored late on with a penalty. And in between that we had spells where we had possession but ultimately done nothing with it.

Ayr was similar in that we had long spells of possession without ever actually turning that into much pressure. Ayr, like Falkirk created more chances with a couple of clear cut ones that they didn't take. If they score one of those and we come away with a 2-1  or 3-1 loss which wouldn't exactly have been a travesty I doubt anyone's saying we competed well.

The result is absolutely the most important thing so I get people being happy with the result, because in the end with how our season is looking a draw against Ayr is a good result. But the performance was more or less the same as we've had all season. The second half in particular was just as frustratingly inept as the Falkirk game. I'd be shocked if we had an xG of above 0.5, it's turgid stuff out there. 

• Like 1

I agree with Grant. It was a more solid performance against Ayr, but not a great deal better. I don't think Ayr played well. Of course, that's partly down to us. We looked less likely to concede, although Ayr should have won the game with two very good chances near the end. Had we lost, then I'm not sure we would have extracted too many positives?

We don't create anywhere near the amount of chances we need to score and that puts a lot of pressure on the defence. I don't get why he doesn't give Sutherland more game time? The return of Todd should give us some energy and a player that can run beyond Kane, but he's now had two lengthy spells out, so it'd be unfair to expect him to suddenly transform us into a goal scoring machine

Edited by Raymie

All very well saying that McPake should go but which manager in the right mind would touch a club where the board wants out?  We would end up with someone like Jim Duffy. 

Also, who would be interim manager, because I assume Mackay would be away if McPake goes?  Meggle?  Who runs away at the first sign of trouble?

In my opinion I would give McPake until the start of the January window to get us out of the bottom two and if he doesn't then bye bye.

4 minutes ago, Deutsch Par said:

All very well saying that McPake should go but which manager in the right mind would touch a club where the board wants out?  We would end up with someone like Jim Duffy. 

Also, who would be interim manager, because I assume Mackay would be away if McPake goes?  Meggle?  Who runs away at the first sign of trouble?

In my opinion I would give McPake until the start of the January window to get us out of the bottom two and if he doesn't then bye bye.

An ambitious one? There's always gaffers wanting to move up the ladder. 

A senior member of the squad? Worked with Jim McIntyre, Airdrie have done well through giving it to a senior player. Not a guarantee to work but with how poorly we're playing there's not allot of scope for things to get worse. McPake has a worse PPG than Hughes did in the Championship and I don't think anyone wanted him kept on. 

I'd rather have a new gaffer in before January so they can evaluate the squad and get things in motion prior to the window opening, it's also helpful if we give the new manager an actual chance of staying up. 

I'd be giving Iain Murray a call.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Grant said:

A senior member of the squad? Worked with Jim McIntyre, Airdrie have done well through giving it to a senior player. Not a guarantee to work but with how poorly we're playing there's not allot of scope for things to get worse. McPake has a worse PPG than Hughes did in the Championship and I don't think anyone wanted him kept on. 

I'd rather have a new gaffer in before January so they can evaluate the squad and get things in motion prior to the window opening, it's also helpful if we give the new manager an actual chance of staying up. 

I've said to my mate a few times that, it wouldn't surprise me if we gave it to Bene if McPake was sacked.

18 minutes ago, lambo1885 said:

I've said to my mate a few times that, it wouldn't surprise me if we gave it to Bene if McPake was sacked.

I wouldn't be shocked at Chalmers, he's taken reserve games in the past? You'd also have the added benefit that as he's not a starter you wouldn't lose anything by having him watch the game from the sideline. 

22 minutes ago, Grant said:

I wouldn't be shocked at Chalmers, he's taken reserve games in the past? You'd also have the added benefit that as he's not a starter you wouldn't lose anything by having him watch the game from the sideline. 

And both would have the benefit of being cheap...

When Todd came back from his last injury I dont think he lasted more than 60/70 minutes in a single match before he picked up his current injury.  It's not fair on the lad to expect too much of him when he does come back. How many serious injuries has he had in last 15 months - I have lost count. 

I find this conversation distasteful discussing who would make a good manager when we have a capable manager in post. Any competent manager can create a winning team if given enough money to do so. Every indication is that McPake has not had a lot of money to spend on players yet has acquired Kane, Ngwenya, Tobi, Fogarty and Cooper while trying to get Malachi back and who knows what other players he tried to get but lost out on?  Hopefully one or two quality loan players may yet arrive that will strengthen the side further and take us up the league. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Grant said:

At the moment ambitious managers wouldn't (and shouldn't) touch this club with a bargepole.  It's run disgracefully.  Hughes didn't have his hands tied behind his back, (apparently Meggle tried and wanted to personally approve every signing made but Ross intervened and told him that he was still the chairman and the final say was still his although that account came from Hughes and I am taking it with a full sellar of salt given Hughes' propensity to talk pish) I believe that McPake at least deserves the chance to show what he is capable of without being shackled.

Don't get me wrong there does need to be a marked improvement in performances and firstly results, and normally I would be calling for McPake to go.

I would also think that anybody who is interested in the club would have already been talking to potential new managers.  I just think getting rid of McPake at the moment would be the wrong decision, as what would happen if the new board don't fancy the new guy on charge?  That's another payoff and us looking more tinpot than we already are.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Raymie said:

Had we lost, then I'm not sure we would have extracted too many positives?

Can only speak for myself, but if we had lost to Ayr I would have come away feeling hard done by, which I certainly didn't after the Falkirk defeat.

I'd definitely have taken some positives from the match though, even if we had lost. Not massive ones, but some. It's a start, but it needs to improve more of course.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

Can only speak for myself, but if we had lost to Ayr I would have come away feeling hard done by, which I certainly didn't after the Falkirk defeat.

For me any feeling of hard done would have been down to the referees decision, rather than the performance. On the balance of chances if any team deserved to win it was absolutely Ayr.