SPFL Reserve Cup Pars v Falkirk 24.9.24

Superally

The Pars play Falkirk in the SPFL Reserve League Cup at Ainslie Park at 1.30pm today. The Pars are the cup holders so will want to progress, especially against Falkirk! McPake also indicated that he was going to play trialist in this fixture and with Clay being signed on Friday past is this the opportunity for striker Mebude to prove is worth? 

I think that the match against Raith showed that there is not much wrong with the team if it can remain injury free. The one remaining problem is having a striker who can score goals on a regular basis. It would be great if Mebude provides the answer and today is his opportunity to show if he is natural finisher.

Trialist Mebude is on from the start, The Pars seem to be fielding a strong team:

DUNFERMLINE: Lewis Briggs: Andrew Tod, John Tod, Rhys Breen: Craig Clay, Josh Cooper, Michael O ‘Halloran, Joe Chalmers (c), Craig Wighton, Taylor Sutherland, Trialist
SUBS: Ewan McLeod, Freddie Rowe, Jake Sutherland, Liam Hoggan, Thomas Margetts (GK)

2 hours ago, Maltapar said:

I think that the match against Raith showed that there is not much wrong with the team if it can remain injury free. The one remaining problem is having a striker who can score goals on a regular basis. It would be great if Mebude provides the answer and today is his opportunity to show if he is natural finisher.

The Raith game mainly highlighted that we can't create chances even when we're playing against 10 men.

Fair enough, Kane missed a header in the first half but I can't remember a raft of gilt-edged chances that we missed in that game - or in any other this match this season, Wotherspoon's missed penalty aside.

All of our goals, League Cup and League (didn't see the Challenge Cup goals) have been really good finishes from half-chances at best, plus Otoo's bit of luck against the Rovers.

See that wee Sutherland, how come he doesny get much of a go with the first team?  He seems to put the chances away well in reserve games, with similar said about training with the first team.

Is this just an age/experience thing I've heard McPake on about?  Like trying to build him up to a regular first teamer, or is it more his development isn't quite there yet?  I was kinda hyped to see him get on the pitch with the first team this season more than he has.

4 hours ago, DumPARS said:

See that wee Sutherland, how come he doesny get much of a go with the first team?  He seems to put the chances away well in reserve games, with similar said about training with the first team.

Is this just an age/experience thing I've heard McPake on about?  Like trying to build him up to a regular first teamer, or is it more his development isn't quite there yet?  I was kinda hyped to see him get on the pitch with the first team this season more than he has.

He seems to be better coming off the bench as he has been given a couple of starts and not really done much whereas he has scored a couple as sub(assuming you're talking about Taylor, as I don't think Jake has made his first team debut yet).

• Upvote 1

Mebude played the 'McCann role' today, coming in off the left, linking up well with Taylor Sutherland who ran his socks off and created a couple of good chances for himself. 

In truth, we created about 8-10 good chances today, with I would about 4 of those being sitters missed. Wighton guilty of a couple, Sutherland of one, Breen had a good header saved, and that's just the ones I remember clearly. We could easily have won by 5 or 6 being conservative. They didn't have a shot on target until the 88th minute, and the closest they came to scoring was Joe Chalmers passing back to Briggs in goals too far away from him and hitting his own post.

I will say though, we only had three guys start who haven't played a game for the first team. Even the ones who came on, Rowe, Hoggan and Macleod have all played in at least a friendly or cup game, and they only had McCann, McKenna and Shanley from the first team. Margetts did come on in goal as well at only 15 and saved the only shot on target comfortably.

The thing I liked best was how much we knocked it about, some great moves from front to back, and one, had it gone in, would have been a fantastic goal. It was really good to watch. 

In regards to the young boys getting a chance, I'd say out of those that played today, the ones who already have have been the right ones. Taylor Sutherland I'd say needs more game time, but he looks the part and is an absolute pest. He linked up really well with Mebude with them playing two 1-2's for Sutherlands goal. It's the first time I've seen John Tod, he played central in a back 3 of Andrew Tod and Breen and barely broke sweat. He looks like he could be a player and is already a big laddie. 

I think it can only be a case of getting someone out on loan to get Mebude in as he would seem to be a stick on to sign otherwise. 

All in all, a good days work by the team.

Also forgot to add, Jamie McCunnie was the ref today and had a good game. I can only think of two decisions I disagreed with and he let the game flow really well. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Deutsch Par said:

He seems to be better coming off the bench as he has been given a couple of starts and not really done much whereas he has scored a couple as sub(assuming you're talking about Taylor, as I don't think Jake has made his first team debut yet).

Jake played as a late sub vs ayr last year when we were down to the bare bones.

1 minute ago, Eastendtales said:

What the fck was AT Junior playing in a back for, other than shoe horning laddie into a completely ridiculous position?

Plenty of shoehorning goes on at reserve level for various reasons. I don't think playing out of your natural position as part of development is that bad, indeed cruyff swore by it.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Apparently, not many.  Are you making a comparison or some sort of point here?

You seem like a very confrontational chap. You said we didn't create many chances "even when playing against 10 men". Neither did arguably the best team on the planet.

I'll leave it there.