SPFL Reserve Cup Pars v Falkirk 24.9.24

Superally

46 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

What the fck was AT Junior playing in a back for, other than shoe horning laddie into a completely ridiculous position?

No other fit or capable players or players needing minutes more than him presumably. We don’t have a lot of depth below the Reserves at the moment as we cleared the decks a couple of years ago and are building that back up.

They only had two midfielders, a GK and a right back who is about 5’9” on the bench. He didn’t look out of place and he has played there lots of times before. So it wasn't a ridiculous position at all. 

2 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

Would much rather see Sutherland get game time than wighton. If anyone is needing moved on to bring Mebude in I’d much rather it was wighton or ohalloran who doesn’t even make squads anyway. Potentially breen too if bene is back soon. Can’t see us needing 5 centre backs 

Breen looked fit and played well today. He won’t be going anywhere. 

29 minutes ago, Digs said:

Breen looked fit and played well today. He won’t be going anywhere. 

Just don't see who he gets ahead of, especially if we need to free up funds we can do without him for 3 months.  If he stays I think he doesn't get into triple figures for minutes played before Jan 1st.

9 minutes ago, Tartan Army Par said:

Teams looked a bit of a mismatch. Not sure how much you can look into some of these perfomances tbh.

Reserve games definitely need a massive cravat, neither the win today nor the humping from livi are true indicators as clubs can come in with wildly different strategies/player availability week to week.

Maybe not such a bad indicator for individual players tho to see where they are cos you can not only judge them against the opponent but also in how they were compared too the other guys we play.

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

You seem like a very confrontational chap. You said we didn't create many chances "even when playing against 10 men". Neither did arguably the best team on the planet.

I'll leave it there.

Against arguably the best defensive side on the planet.

I wasn't being confrontational, just clarifying that you were using a comparison of City v Arsenal to disprove a point about us not really troubling Paul Hanlon and Liam Dick - over 80 minutes...

Edited by DA-go Par Adonis

As long as it's not widespread and persistent, occasionally playing in different positions doesn't bother me. As others have said, it can actually help your development and real game performance to develop those skillsets and know how to play different roles. Not every reserve game has to be about every player in every position - sometimes you just need bodies to get a game on and provide a platform for the players that do need the work to play a competitive match.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, kelty_par said:

Would much rather see Sutherland get game time than wighton. If anyone is needing moved on to bring Mebude in I’d much rather it was wighton or ohalloran who doesn’t even make squads anyway. Potentially breen too if bene is back soon. Can’t see us needing 5 centre backs 

Aye that's where I was coming from too.  Wanted Wighton to kick on after L1 but it was a half hearted expectation for him.  I like Kane's energy over an hour but I wanted to see more of Sutherland.  All in good time I guess.

4 hours ago, kelty_par said:

Point I was trying to make in a roundabout way is that he is currently 5th choice centre half. And we have Hamilton who can fill in there too. Maybe worth moving on to free wages up

I agree that it looks like we should be trying to move Breen on, but I'm not sure he's currently 5th choice. If Bene is crocked and unable to play, he's 5th. I'm becoming increasingly worried about Fisher who has looked very nervy last few weeks. If Breen can stay fit (and I know that's a stretch given his record), it's not inconceivable he moves up to 3rd place. With Fogarty disappearing on international duty every so often, I'd be a bit wary of our only centre-half options being Young and Fisher. I'd prefer to stop thinking about Hamilton as cover for centre-half - there's things I think he can do better in the midfield but until Clay is more proven, Hamilton at centre-half should be last resort.

Does Breen also cover Comrie at right full-back? Not sure who else is covering Comrie.