Pars v Kelty Hearts SPFL Trust Trophy

Chalmers played quite well yesterday, I think helped by Clay playing and allowing him to get further forward. Look how high up the park he was for Todd's goal. Compassions with the likes of Husband are a bit wide of the mark however. Hubby had a much wider range of passing, was much more mobile around the park, wasn't afraid to shoot from distance and could do the ugly side of the game pretty well. Chalmers is neat and tidy for sure and he does make himself available but his passing range is quite limited - he very rarely will play a raking diagonal or a through ball, although he doesn't have the same movement in front of him Husband did - and he seems to panic when he gets to the edge of the 18 yard box and looks to play it back or wide when a Husband type player would attempt a shot. As we know, he's not keen on doing the ugly side of things and that's where a lot of criticism comes from, seeing players slip by him when a wee cynical foul of a more committed tracking back might stop the counter attack. He's fine, but in a team who struggle to score I think we need more from the midfield and sadly he's not that type of player. If we went back down then I'd be all for keeping him on, but if we stay up i think his race is run.

Chalmers is decent when in possession but a man down when out of possession. We tend to get away with it when up against League 1 teams but it's like a hot knife through butter in midfield at Championship level. If we can stay up this season we need to be looking for better than Chalmers, Wighton, O'Halloran etc.

9 minutes ago, Tartan Army Par said:

Chalmers is decent when in possession but a man down when out of possession

He's not the best tackler and also not the quicker for recovery runs, but watch his positioning,  he's nearly always the guy filling in when someone moves out of theirs. 

Think part of the 'he doesn't run enough' narrative is that by the time someone notices he's already where he should be. You don't get frantic running from Joe but that's not necessary a bad thing. Also just cos you don't win tackles doesn't mean you're not contributing defensively.  Are you stopping passes(and that doesn't strictly mean interceptions) are you winning 2nd balls? I think he does a good job at both.

Is he someone I want in a promotion winning side? Maybe not, but our board have refused to try and build a promotion winning side and therefore he, like the other players you mention have a role.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, parsforlife said:

He's not the best tackler and also not the quicker for recovery runs, but watch his positioning,  he's nearly always the guy filling in when someone moves out of theirs. 

Think part of the 'he doesn't run enough' narrative is that by the time someone notices he's already where he should be. You don't get frantic running from Joe but that's not necessary a bad thing. Also just cos you don't win tackles doesn't mean you're not contributing defensively.  Are you stopping passes(and that doesn't strictly mean interceptions) are you winning 2nd balls? I think he does a good job at both.

Is he someone I want in a promotion winning side? Maybe not, but our board have refused to try and build a promotion winning side and therefore he, like the other players you mention have a role.

You're spot on but you're also forgetting Pars fans will forgive any sort of misgiving if you run about like a daftie and fly into tackles.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Digs said:

You're spot on but you're also forgetting Pars fans will forgive any sort of misgiving if you run about like a daftie and fly into tackles.

Oh aye, sprint 30 yards out of position, dive in, get beat and the team loses a goal cos of your madness.

'X was brilliant today, love that passion, he was the only one who tried to stop the goal. 

• Upvote 2